I'm really not interested in going faster; OK?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I understand that some people are motivated by the need for speed when cycling, and that their style is head down and go for it. That's all good but I wish my mate would leave me to ride a bike in the style that motivates ME - that is going out for leisurely paced rides, which for me means 13/15 mph, taking in the sights, sounds and smells that mother nature provides us with while exploring new places with plenty of stops. It's not like I don't do reasonable distances.

I'm really not interested in repeating the same old local routes day after day trying to beat my Strava PB's., so stop trying to convince me that that's the way forward. If I'm in a hurry I have a bike with an 800cc engine!

I'm just getting a bit tired coming up with excuses for NOT coming out for a ride and trying to keep up with people going at a much faster pace. Yes I know it's the best way to get faster but at 56 years old I'm just not interested; I'm happy doing what I do. I've tried it and didn't like it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am billy no mates, so it doesn't matter how slow i go, there is no one to try to make me go faster than a perverbial slug. ^_^. I do well to reach 10 mph. Just ignore him, or tell him what you have said in your post above.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Left my old cycling club for this reason.....I bought a touring bike, not a feckin racing bike.
I now ride with a council run riding group on averaging 8-9mph Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Fridays I go out by myself...maybe Saturday too. The 3 same routes week in week out are getting tedious though and that along with my difficulty in socializing is making me consider leaving the group. Starting this Friday though, the group is starting longer rides which might be interesting. We'll see.

Trigger369

Über Member
I think i can relate only I'm the one doing the pestering . I've a mate and when younger we would never be off the bikes (mtb). Now older with kids . I'm pestering him to get a road bike and join me for company but I think as he sees me cycling now up to 30miles each ride and average 14/15mph he's making excuses . Maybe he thinks he won't keep up . I would defo stop if he needed to even tho I probably would hammer on with 1 short stop.
Now after reading this post Ile quit pestering him .

byegad

Legendary Member
There's something called the slow bicycle group. I qualify in spades. If I average 10mph I'm doing well! Some 10 yrs ago I removed the cycle computers from my bikes and started to really enjoy cycling.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Every now and then I'll post a recent ride on Facebook. I plot my route on Google maps post ride to see how far I've gone, and the elevation graph and post a screen shot of it.... and it's almost always guaranteed that someone will try to turn it into a willy waving contest, with comments like 'you're proper slow' and 'come out with me and I'll get your speed up' or 'only 18 miles!'... what makes me laugh is the ride time stated on google maps isn't my time, it's just the estimated time for that route...

abbeystead-quernmore.jpg

...but I don't bother telling them that. I do't even bother pointing out that that route took me 1hr and 45 mins including a break for a coffee and an Eccles cake at Jubilee tower... that'd be just joining in with the willy waving. It also makes me laugh the the usual suspects don't seem to do very much cycling at all... they're all talk.

@byegad ...removing my computer was also the best thing i ever did. :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom