I'm really not interested in going faster; OK?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycling with someone else simply tales half of the enjoyment away, and almost all of the sense of freedom that cycling brings.
Yup, agreed. However, I found London to Brighton a complete, if very knackering, blast!

ozboz

Guru
I’m a Lone Ranger , but no mask !
At most I ride with G F , going to and from stables, I did do a Sunday CCride , which was enjoyable , I’ll be getting the road bike up and running now the weathers better , deffo not a speed merchant , just enjoy the ride , sometimes I challenge myself to a longer or hilly route ,

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 5221444, member: 9609"]thats why I ride by myself, go at my own pace , stop when I want, extend or shorten my ride as and when I want. I couldn't be doing with having to keep up or having to wait for others.[/QUOTE]

I might have been different if I'd taken it up when younger as I was a very competitive footballer. But I use cycling to get away from everybody else, I do tour with my cousin but soon get tetchy at having to compromise. Yesterday...sun out, bike out, left my watch and phone at home and I long ago stopped using a computer. A whole day of quality Mark time just tootling about and boy can I tootle, bliss.:okay:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm a loner too, and enjoy riding at my own speed, to my own itinerary. That's one reason I'm looking forward to my upcoming September cycling trip in the French Pyrénées: 4 weeks of cycling heaven. I have no itinerary and don't plan to cycle with anyone, and I simply have a list of climbs I want to do, but can do them in any order, and have long rides some days, and short ones the next if I feel like it.

bpsmith

Veteran
Going too slow is as annoying as having to go too fast. It’s tricking finding a balance.

A more leisurely pace is nice now and again, but not every ride.

D

Deleted member 1258

Another lone rider here, ex club rider. These days I prefer a lone ride, my old club have started a slow ride, the 12-14 mph group, I have been asked to join the ride but have turned them down. Now at 66 I prefer to potter around on my own.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Going too slow is as annoying as having to go too fast.

Agreed; I've been there once or twice (the local CTC group had an obsession with waiting to re-group every 10 minutes). Which makes me question even more why anyone who likes to go fast would want to go riding with someone who they know fine is much slower? Is it so that they can sprint off into the distance then wait at the top of the next hill, watching as I puff and pant my way to the top while he is suitably refreshed and ready to bomb off again when I just want a breather?

MarkF

Guru
I'm a loner too, and enjoy riding at my own speed, to my own itinerary. That's one reason I'm looking forward to my upcoming September cycling trip in the French Pyrénées: 4 weeks of cycling heaven. I have no itinerary and don't plan to cycle with anyone, and I simply have a list of climbs I want to do, but can do them in any order, and have long rides some days, and short ones the next if I feel like it.

Report back please.:smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I understand that some people are motivated by the need for speed when cycling, and that their style is head down and go for it. That's all good but I wish my mate would leave me to ride a bike in the style that motivates ME - that is going out for leisurely paced rides, which for me means 13/15 mph, taking in the sights, sounds and smells that mother nature provides us with while exploring new places with plenty of stops. It's not like I don't do reasonable distances.

I'm really not interested in repeating the same old local routes day after day trying to beat my Strava PB's., so stop trying to convince me that that's the way forward. If I'm in a hurry I have a bike with an 800cc engine!

I'm just getting a bit tired coming up with excuses for NOT coming out for a ride and trying to keep up with people going at a much faster pace. Yes I know it's the best way to get faster but at 56 years old I'm just not interested; I'm happy doing what I do. I've tried it and didn't like it.
Old before your time.

Top Bottom