I'm really not interested in going faster; OK?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not interested in going faster either. but I am pretty keen on going at the same speed with less work.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't think 13-14mph is leisurely. I consider myself pretty fit and last week for the first time did the club A ride. 70miles at about 17mph average. I was knackered. The B ride though averages 12mph and is forever stopping and waiting for slower riders. I find it very frustrating. I do enjoy the company though. I ride enough on my own in the week.
I can never work out how this average works. Can you go like hell and have to keep stopping in an urban setting or virtually non-stop in the country? Then there are headwinds and hills, heavy bikes, light bikes etc. I never count it and just overhear the average figures from others in a group. Does not mean much to me.

Julia9054

Guru
I mainly ride with my husband. He is a bit stronger and faster than me but it evens out over a distance because i ride more (to work) so am a bit fitter with more stamina.
I also occasionally ride with a female friend who is a marathon runner and much fitter than me but only rides a bike occasionally so we are evenly matched.
I also ride a fair bit on my own.
Thought about joining a club but don't think i can be bothered with small talk or being forced to wear a helmet.

xzenonuk

Veteran
i much prefer been a loner when on the bike, although some times my dad or my sisters boyfriend comes out with me, although theres a lot more stops when with other people i don't mind and happy just to match their speed and let them go in front so im not constantly checking behind me to see if their keeping up ok :smile:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I mainly ride with my husband. He is a bit stronger and faster than me but it evens out over a distance because i ride more (to work) so am a bit fitter with more stamina.
I also occasionally ride with a female friend who is a marathon runner and much fitter than me but only rides a bike occasionally so we are evenly matched.
I also ride a fair bit on my own.
Thought about joining a club but don't think i can be bothered with small talk or being forced to wear a helmet.
You don't have to talk if you don't wish to. I enjoy the banter though and CTC clubs don't insist on helmets. I think thats a British Cycling club thing.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5222103, member: 9609"]I'm just so slow in comparison to others - I don't normally time myself but tonight I thought I would time myself over a marathon type distance (26.4 miles +1215' ascent) 2h35m 10.2 mph, a good runner would have beat me. Probably only had two 5 min stops to take on some water.

may be I should make an effort and go faster, not even remotely tired by tonights ride (could easy do it twice) but woefully slow[/QUOTE]
Cycling up a big hill between Otley and Harrogate when the Tour de France was here. Was overtaken by a bunch of Japanese tourists . . . on foot!

bigjim

Legendary Member
i much prefer been a loner when on the bike, although some times my dad or my sisters boyfriend comes out with me, although theres a lot more stops when with other people i don't mind and happy just to match their speed and let them go in front so im not constantly checking behind me to see if their keeping up ok :smile:
I, for some reason find it hard to ride slower than my usual pace. I'll sit and chat with a slower rider but i do struggle after a while. I was the same when I used to run with somebody. If we were not close in pace I struggled. Fast or slow I must add.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am not interested in going faster either. but I am pretty keen on going at the same speed with less work.
+1 to this; that being the reason why I spent a not insignificant amount of cash on a new carbon framed bike a few months ago. To me that meant less effort to get up the hills, of which there are plenty around here, and possibly just a more comfortable ride. To my mate, it meant I had become a Bradley Wiggins wannabe and of course I would now want to go out with him and no longer be happy with my "time has no meaning" style of cycling. He was wrong!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Our club rides are at a leisurely 13-14 mph. Very pleasant, but one reason why we’re now struggling to attract new members as many ‘modern’ cyclists see these long, slowish rides to a lunch destination as pedestrian and old fashioned.

I read somewhere this is evidence of social change.

Years ago, the Sunday club ride was as you describe and it would take most of the day.

Competing attractions such as shopping/drinking/sport, and more older cyclists (MAMILs) with children who want to do things on Sunday afternoon mean the club ride needs to get back not long after midday.

The riders still want the miles, hence turning the ride into a three or four hour sprint.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I prefer to be neither the fastest nor the slowest in a group.

Going just 1km faster than your comfortable with can be knackering 1km slower can be boring.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I read somewhere this is evidence of social change.

Years ago, the Sunday club ride was as you describe and it would take most of the day.

Competing attractions such as shopping/drinking/sport, and more older cyclists (MAMILs) with children who want to do things on Sunday afternoon mean the club ride needs to get back not long after midday.

The riders still want the miles, hence turning the ride into a three or four hour sprint.
I agree with this. I have four adult children and five grandchildren with another due very soon. They all live within about 500yds of me. Hence disappearing for a full day on a Sunday on the bike does not always go down very well. 15 birthday parties to attend plus confirmations, Baptisms, Communions and any other celebration my brood can think of, throw bad weather into the mix and all day club runs are becming a rare event. But head down 60 miles races to be back for lunch is something I will be happy to miss.

Top Bottom