I'm really not interested in going faster; OK?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I understand that some people are motivated by the need for speed when cycling, and that their style is head down and go for it. That's all good but I wish my mate would leave me to ride a bike in the style that motivates ME - that is going out for leisurely paced rides, which for me means 13/15 mph, taking in the sights, sounds and smells that mother nature provides us with while exploring new places with plenty of stops. It's not like I don't do reasonable distances.

I'm really not interested in repeating the same old local routes day after day trying to beat my Strava PB's., so stop trying to convince me that that's the way forward. If I'm in a hurry I have a bike with an 800cc engine!

I'm just getting a bit tired coming up with excuses for NOT coming out for a ride and trying to keep up with people going at a much faster pace. Yes I know it's the best way to get faster but at 56 years old I'm just not interested; I'm happy doing what I do. I've tried it and didn't like it.
Sometimes I like going out with the club and pushing myself to get fitter and also enjoying the company. Other times I like my own company and enjoy the flexibility that it gives me. The happiest medium for me is when I cycle with one or two people who are close friends outside of cycling. They are sympathetic if I am struggling to keep up one day or if I want to shorten a ride because they care more about me than their average. Plenty of clubs, including mine, do rides for people who like more of a social pootle.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't see any attraction whatsoever in tearing about with a group of head-down bum-up speed freaks just trying to hit a given average MPH, or better last week's results. The whole point of riding a bike to me is that you enjoy the scenery and the fresh air, not to bust a gut trying to shave a few seconds off a previous point A to point B time.. The only other people I would and have ridden a bike with are those I know socially and would happily go for a beer with, then you know there isn't any silly competitive willy-waving nonsense and no pressure to go at a breakneck pace just to prove something.

Yes. I ride at a speed that will get me where I’m going, at the time I said I’d be there. If everything’s going well, it won’t be as fast as it will be, if I get delayed, and I’m going to be late, by sticking to the slower speed. I try to arrange it so that I can do the required distance at between 10 and 14 mph. Any more than that and it’s going to require too much effort for my liking. Unless it’s a Sportive, then I’m going to smash stuff, and so on and so forth, probably.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm sure I've said before, and this thread revives it: there is considerable ambiguity in how people describe speeds. The following denote considerably different levels of effort:

X mph is the speed we typically cycle at on flattish roads
X mph is our average when moving (excluding all stops for regrouping, traffic lights etc)
X mph is our average between refreshment stops (including stops for traffic lights and regrouping and roadside drinks but excluding all cafe stops)
X mph is our average from start to finish of the ride (including all cafe stops)
Good point and I've edited to correct it but these days, I would assume it's average when moving unless otherwise stated because that's what most computers and apps seem to spit out. When I'm putting a predicted finish time on those calendars that require it (Farceberk, Let's Ride and so on), I divide the distance by 10mph +1hr lunch stop +round it up a bit to cover any regroupings (not usually all that many as we pootle along slowly enough for most people) - the people who usually do it haven't told me that I've got it wrong yet.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I am a happiest doing my own thing. I teeter on the edge of being relatively fast paced at about 16.5 - 18 mph average on all rides with hills included.

I like pushing a bit, but not to extremes. I have done lots of club rides and social rides with a few other rider friends.

Being a solo rider, I don't benefit from the drafting and rest periods of group rides which tends to give a higher overall speed and averages.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't see any attraction whatsoever in tearing about with a group of head-down bum-up speed freaks just trying to hit a given average MPH, or better last week's results. The whole point of riding a bike to me is that you enjoy the scenery and the fresh air, not to bust a gut trying to shave a few seconds off a previous point A to point B time.. The only other people I would and have ridden a bike with are those I know socially and would happily go for a beer with, then you know there isn't any silly competitive willy-waving nonsense and no pressure to go at a breakneck pace just to prove something.

Thanks but I think you just called me willy
waving freak, I cycle for fitness and no other reason, to improve my fitness and keep on improving it means I need to push on a bit, I cycle mainly on my own and do not ever publish my results. Given the choice between a 60 minute hard fast ride or a 3hour pootle I would take the short one everytime.

See I have said all that without insulting you, shame you could not have done the same.

Crankarm

Guru
I understand that some people are motivated by the need for speed when cycling, and that their style is head down and go for it. That's all good but I wish my mate would leave me to ride a bike in the style that motivates ME - that is going out for leisurely paced rides, which for me means 13/15 mph, taking in the sights, sounds and smells that mother nature provides us with while exploring new places with plenty of stops. It's not like I don't do reasonable distances.

I'm really not interested in repeating the same old local routes day after day trying to beat my Strava PB's., so stop trying to convince me that that's the way forward. If I'm in a hurry I have a bike with an 800cc engine!

I'm just getting a bit tired coming up with excuses for NOT coming out for a ride and trying to keep up with people going at a much faster pace. Yes I know it's the best way to get faster but at 56 years old I'm just not interested; I'm happy doing what I do. I've tried it and didn't like it.

Your bike wouldn't happen to be a VFR by any chance?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Fabulous bike the VFR, had a 750 in the 90's. Do they still make that addictive roar when hitting around 6k revs?
The VTec model goes from 8 valve to 16 valves at 6800 revs. That's when it really takes off and roars! A lot of VFR owners prefer the older, non VTec version and I would probably agree with them. The VTec is a bit of a gimick and not needed; it has plenty power without it. Plus, they went from gear driven cams on the non VTec and took a backward step by reverting to chain driven cams - and with that the famous Honda cam chain tensioner problems returned :sad:. But I still love it :laugh:.

johnnyb47

Guru
I enjoy all aspects of cycling. Some days when I'm feeling energetic I will give it everything I can to beat a personal best, and on other days I will just enjoy a leisurely ride taking in the scenery. On longer rides ,speed is replaced with the aim of just completing my planned trip out.
For me that's what makes cycling so great. It offers so many different ways to enjoy it.
Where all cyclist here ,but as its
so diverse , we can enjoy it to suit our individual selves :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
It is! 2002 VTec, in blue. Cracking bike - just been to Lands End and back on it; 1600 miles in 8 days.
In blue.
Vtech_Baby_Toot_Toot_Drivers_Motorbike_Toy_VTech_187903_43_res.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
The VTec model goes from 8 valve to 16 valves at 6800 revs. That's when it really takes off and roars! A lot of VFR owners prefer the older, non VTec version and I would probably agree with them. The VTec is a bit of a gimick and not needed; it has plenty power without it. Plus, they went from gear driven cams on the non VTec and took a backward step by reverting to chain driven cams - and with that the famous Honda cam chain tensioner problems returned :sad:. But I still love it :laugh:.
Mines the older 800cc one. In Yellow the best colour. Though it doesn't get out much these days.

Top Bottom