I'm so confused..what spare chain link?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

Im conscious i do some decent miles on my hybrid and Im not carrying a spare chain link. However looking at what is out there its confusing the heck out of me!

I have a Pinnacle Lithium 2 21 speed with a KMCz51 chain..what chain link do I need to carry as a spare?

Also if anyone can advise me what to carry on my road bike that would be a Billy bonus! Its a Btwin Triban 500 with 24 speeds.

Lozz360

Veteran
A seven-speed chain link for the former and an eight-speed link for the latter.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A KMC 7 speed link would be right for your 7 speed, 21 gear bike, and probably OK for the 8 speed too. To be absolutely certain try and find out what chain you have on it and search online. Decathlon sell a 3 -8 speed link (which is KMC). Otherwise an 8 speed link for an 8 speed chain. Just checked their website and the KMC links are all 7/8 speed. Get reuseable ones - Halfords sell them for £2.80 pair

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When you buy a new chain SRAM chains come with a removable link.

Out on the road you also need a chain splitter to seperate the link in the right place for your spare link to be any use.Some multi tools have a chain tool included.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

When you buy a new chain SRAM chains come with a removable link.

Out on the road you also need a chain splitter to seperate the link in the right place for your spare link to be any use.Some multi tools have a chain tool included.

My multi tool has a chain tool built in

In extremis you can knock out a chain rivet with a rusty nail/small allen key and a rock or something. Putting it back is harder so removable links are a bonus. Your one removable link can usually be split joined a number of times. If you need to fix a breakage elsewhere you need another spare removable link.

Don’t reuse a quick link, unless you have no other choice. Some are marketed as “reusable” and although you can I wouldn’t.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My multi tool has a chain tool built in
Top tip: practise using it (on the spare bit of chain from a new chain or a bit your LBS has in their bin) and practise inserting the 'quick link' eg by knocking a (half) link out and replacing with a 'quick link'.
Personally every thousand km (ie at least once per chain life) I disconnect the chain (by the 'quick link' and give a thorough clean, reconnect (same (KMC) 'quick link') and relube; and 'away'. New chain: new 'quick link', in fact I replaced my chain earlier this week.

IIRC every quicklink up to and including 9 speed is reusable. I think it is only come newer ones that claim to be one time use only.

D5FAE0C6-674B-4036-8133-054C9744C104.jpeg

I’d never reuse a quick link, it’s not worth the risk of the link failing, given how little they cost.

Top tip: practise using it (on the spare bit of chain from a new chain or a bit your LBS has in their bin) and practise inserting the 'quick link' eg by knocking a (half) link out and replacing with a 'quick link'.
Personally every thousand km (ie at least once per chain life) I disconnect the chain (by the 'quick link' and give a thorough clean, reconnect (same (KMC) 'quick link') and relube; and 'away'. New chain: new 'quick link', in fact I replaced my chain earlier this week.
I agree, but after I disconnect the link and stick the chain in the ultrasonic bath, I use a new quick link to put it back together. Better safe than sorry, especially on a long ride at this time of the year.

How do they fail?
The bit that the pins move past to get to the lock position round off, then the plates ping apart, or the little rim at the tip of the pin wears, and allows the plates to spread, in my experience. Once it happens, the chain doesn’t go through the tensioners cleanly, or the link ‘pringles’, with the same end effect.

Top Bottom