Im struggling to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
So I decided on the bike but I cant buy one. Almost every dealer is stating that due to a high volume of demand we may not be able to take your call. I finally managed to find the bike (not a Brompton) I wanted and the deal I wanted but can I buy it..... Can I hell the dealer just does not reply. Why do I not just move on well I have not found the same bike or the same deal anywhere else.

I know they are busy but im pretty certain they shouldnt be treating customers like this. I dont think im being difficult but it all started when I had to force them to admit they could offer the finance terms they were advertising. Then when they sent me a quote I had to screenshot their website because they were trying to sell me the bike higher than the advertised price and the manufacturers RRP. I then got another quote because I had asked for some extras to be included. It came back with a total price and a monthly cost and nothing else. I asked them to break it down and as yet no answer !

I guess its a combination of staff being furloughed either with the dealer or the manufacturer. More people choosing to ride a bike during lockdown etc. I wonder if ebay will be full of nearly new lightly used bikes after lockdown ^_^

Anyway im debating whether to keep looking or just wait. For your info I was going for a black Tern P10 but my 2nd choice is a Brompton S2L or S3L .

Anyway moan over just frustrated as it took me bleedin ages to make up my mind then when I do :sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Halfords shares have apparently gone through the roof.
Do you need a folder to carry on a train or store somewhere? If not I’d buy a conventional bike.

sorry, I think we may have had this conversation before.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It seems to me you have two questions to answer:

1. Do I trust this retailer?
  2. Am I happy to wait a few weeks/months?
The reality is current demand is huge. Personally I'd sit back and wait until the situation is calmer and one can buy with confidence.

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
So far I have had 4 purchases fall through, people can't keep their websites up to date, the worse so far is Cycle Republic, i bought my bike, emailed them a number of times to make sure all ok, waited 2 weeks then today receive an email telling me they have no stock and I can have my money back, I DONT WANT MY MONEY BACK I WANT A BIKE!!!!!!

Pay/finance a bit more to get the one you want. If sales are booming you're not going to bag a bargain.

I have a tern folder which I like - but I wouldn't want to be humping it on and off buses - for that it has to be the Brompton.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Essentially you currently have two options;; pay over the odds and put up with being endlessly buggered about by retailers who don't need to worry about good customer service, or sit back and wait for all this virus chaos to die down and then do a sensible deal at the right money.
Either way I wouldn't be touching finance for a bike. Paying interest to buy a depreciating asset is a mug's game, IMHO.

I’m in the process of acquiring another new bike at present. It’s going to be with the workshop on the 20th May, and with me a couple of days after that ( as it stands ) most places that deal with bikes have been incredibly busy during this situation we find ourselves in, I also wonder how many of the purchases will become clothes hangers, or end up on the used market when things return to relative normality.

ozboz

Guru
So far I have had 4 purchases fall through, people can't keep their websites up to date, the worse so far is Cycle Republic, i bought my bike, emailed them a number of times to make sure all ok, waited 2 weeks then today receive an email telling me they have no stock and I can have my money back, I DONT WANT MY MONEY BACK I WANT A BIKE!!!!!!

I thought cycle republic had gone ?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Because of the current situation, delays are going to be inevitable. So much of the parts needed to build a bike anywhere in the world, are manufactured in China. All bike manufacturers are in the same boat and I would take any delivery date with a pinch of salt and start planning on July. If you are lucky.

I would not even contemplate ordering a bike at the moment as when the parts actually start moving again, it will take weeks for bike companies to get rid of the backlog.

Just forget it for now and ride what you have got.

As an add on. I was at Ribe Cycles in Denmark last weekend. It is the largest bike shop in Denmark. A huge place. It was packed. There was no sale on and the sports section was almost empty. People were in buying everyday run around bikes and a lot of electric bikes were being tested. Its a great time for the cycle industry. In 15 years, I have never seen that many people in there.

I am looking to get a Planet X gravel bike. I would like it now, but think I will treat myself for Christmas.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My LBS has never been as busy as recent weeks, he sells several brands including Trek and Giant and was telling me last week that virtually all 2020 models are now sold out.

Same here. I called into an LBS a few days ago to collect a bar bag and he was saying the factories are empty and he simply can't get new stock this year. Giant told him that there will be supply problems for the foreseeable future. He has bikes in the shop but that's it.

@macp
Couple of anecdotes from this weekend that might make you feel you're not alone, at least!

The particular dealer mebtioned above said he's sometimes in the shop at 9, 10pm doing repairs (he closes at 6) and the phone on his counter still rings at that time of night with retail enquiries that he now has to ignore. He doesn't like to be ignorant, but he simply can't handle the volume of interest.

Another one... I put a nice clean used 4 month old Carrera child's bike up on eBay this weekend, it was 220 RRP in Halfords at the start of the year. I wanted at least a hundred, first offer was 120 which was good with me, and it had gone in an hour.
I was still however getting emails from people on Sunday offering more even though the auction had ended. Even now I'm being asked if I still have it, and I've been offered full new RRP as that buyer can't get one in Halfords for months. I initially was politely saying it was gone, and wishing them well but I've just had to ignore the inbox now.

So it just demonstrates the pressure the retailers are under, I wouldn't take it personally.

Globalti

Legendary Member
To the OP, I'm sorry to say that if I was the dealer I'd have dismissed you as a difficult customer by now and moved on to somebody more compliant for a quick and stress-free sale.

Top Bottom