Im struggling to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m half thinking about selling the as yet unridden Cannondale I got on a whim (albeit at a bargain price) in the January sales :scratch:Bought for summer commuting, can’t see myself going near the London office for 6 months!

I reckon I could make a tidy profit! My single speed sold a few weeks ago. Took ages to sell, got less than I really wanted...should’ve hung on! :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice post thanks and no I didnt just decide to buy a bike. Covidiot ! I think we have a keyboard warrior.
Everybody else seems to have been quite pleasant & supportive but there is always one eh.

Not a keyboard warrior, but your first post was crackers ! Hadn't read the rest as we've had a few like this. Rant to start a thread - these are not normal times.

Apols if I upset you.

fossyant

I’m half thinking about selling the as yet unridden Cannondale I got on a whim (albeit at a bargain price) in the January sales :scratch:Bought for summer commuting, can’t see myself going near the London office for 6 months!

I reckon I could make a tidy profit! My single speed sold a few weeks ago. Took ages to sell, got less than I really wanted...should’ve hung on! :whistle:

48 loo rolls or a set of Race Matrix SRAM Guide Pads (unobtanium at the minute......)

fossyant

No shortage of loo rolls now. They even had SR flour in Asda half an hour ago!

We found SR flour in a local Aldi - gave it to my BIL as part of his 60th pressie at weekend - gold dust. He never cooks or anything, but as he's not working, is baking, and he can't go out as in a risk group.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t really use flour either. A bag lasts me years :laugh: (I have made 3 batches of banana muffins since lockdown though)

lane

Veteran
Essentially you currently have two options;; pay over the odds and put up with being endlessly buggered about by retailers who don't need to worry about good customer service, or sit back and wait for all this virus chaos to die down and then do a sensible deal at the right money.
Either way I wouldn't be touching finance for a bike. Paying interest to buy a depreciating asset is a mug's game, IMHO.

Get interest free on a credit card - some up front fees but won't be excessive

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW in the OP's position I'd just hang on and wait to get what you want at a decent price at some point in the future. Might be worth keeping an eye out for a more suitably sized used stand-in, while prices will probably be a bit inflated if it's cheap enough you won't lose a lot if you sell it on.

Before I bought my CdF about a month ago I'd kept an eye on the shop's stock of various models - of which there were many and diminishing at maybe 1-2 bikes per month for the (admittedly very well priced) lower-end model. I looked maybe a week ago and they're basically sold out of them all, while peering through various local windows showed their stock to be pretty decimated.

It's good that the shops are getting such good business and obviously such a large uptake of cycling is a great thing in itself. It'll be interesting to see how much it sticks when the world's finished ending; will probaby be a good time to pick up used bargains in the months and years afterward, which I guess might hurt new bike sales somewhat.

Anyway, I deliberated about the purchase and count myself very lucky in having bought my bike when I did as I'd really be screwing at the missed opportunity - I've put over 500 miles on it so far :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Not a keyboard warrior, but your first post was crackers ! Hadn't read the rest as we've had a few like this. Rant to start a thread - these are not normal times.

Apols if I upset you.
You are entitled to your opinion although in my opinion it was heavy handed considering my response to those who respectfully suggested that right now im a difficult customer. And I get that but no im not upset and appreciate your apology. I think there is enough crap flying about everywhere else so shall we keep it calm forget about it and move on ^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Covidiot alert. Decide to buy a bike, just now, when every other covidiot is buying one. Ohh WTF. The shops are stretched enough fixing bikes that haven't been used before.

Might be a good time to sell my fixie.... kerching.

Bit harsh IMO, but I do agree it's a great time to sell a bike. I wish I had more that were surplus, I just don't want to get rid of any more of my garage content. (Now down to six). If you have a Fixie that's surplus, now is the time for sure.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Once again thanks all to all of you for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. Good or bad ^_^

So I have done a lot of thinking and researching and im going to sit back and bide my time. Firstly I found a few mil more in the seat stem of my wifes Cube so that should resolve the knee pain which takes the pressure off needing a replacement now. Research wise it pains me to admit but a small wheeled bike like the Brompton is just not going to cut it on the less than perfect back roads home. I think I just fell in love with the whole way of life hipster thing as well as the small wheel funkiness.

I still want something different though ^_^

Top Bottom