Im struggling to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
I thought cycle republic had gone ?

Hopefully they will go soon :boxing:

On the flip side I have managed to buy a Orbea Gain 2019 M20 ex demo from a place in Scotland, should have it ready for the weekend :okay:

Fortunately, they really don’t sell many of the bikes I’ve ordered, so the risk of it not getting to me are slim to nothing. But I do know that a lot of M.Y. 2020 bikes have sold out at a lot of places. If and when restrictions are lifted suitably, I’d imagine there will be a few bargains to be had, as the ‘clothes hangers’ get shifted on the used market though.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks all for the multiple responses and yes I can see im being a difficult customer because of the current demand. I hadnt really thought about it like that. As to riding what I have well its swmbo`s Cube. Not a bad bike but a little small. I have the seat stem at the max and getting a little bit of knee pain as its not quite high enough. I have found some bikes since my first post but based on what your all saying I need to apply the old saying "sh*t or get off the pot" ^_^. I agree with the poster who said finance is a mugs game which is why im choosing 0% and keeping my money in the bank just in case I need it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know the guy who runs the local Giant store (I went to school with his older brother). Since most bike manufacturers shut up shop during the virus theres been an interruption in supply. Couple that with an upturn in demand, and prices are set to go only one way.

Reduced supply + increased demand = good news for retailers, at least in the short term.

Discounts for last years models etc have already evaporated faster than a mouthful of polish Vodka.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Covidiot alert. Decide to buy a bike, just now, when every other covidiot is buying one. Ohh WTF. The shops are stretched enough fixing bikes that haven't been used before.

Might be a good time to sell my fixie.... kerching.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I know the guy who runs the local Giant store (I went to school with his older brother). Since most bike manufacturers shut up shop during the virus theres been an interruption in supply. Couple that with an upturn in demand, and prices are set to go only one way.

Reduced supply + increased demand = good news for retailers, at least in the short term.

Discounts for last years models etc have already evaporated faster than a mouthful of polish Vodka.
just think now is where good shops shine because if you feck people over when its busy they will remember you when its quiet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry, but it's about planning. I'm sory about ranting.

You aren't going to get anything you want fast at the minute.

I had a rear wheel bearing on the way out on my MTB as this shoot hit in March. Ordered the bearing, it took over a week to arrive, but I'd re-greased the wheel bearing on the bike and knew it would last until delivery (how ever long that was).

It also needed a full set of frame bearings ideally full suspension MTB) - again checked everything was OK, and I had no issues until the parts turned up.

When this 'crap' was landing, I knew our washer was on the way out, so went out and got another pronto. A week later, all shops shut.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Covidiot alert. Decide to buy a bike, just now, when every other covidiot is buying one. Ohh WTF. The shops are stretched enough fixing bikes that haven't been used before.

Might be a good time to sell my fixie.... kerching.
Nice post thanks and no I didnt just decide to buy a bike. Covidiot ! I think we have a keyboard warrior.
Everybody else seems to have been quite pleasant & supportive but there is always one eh.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I bought a new 2019 bike back in October at a great price. List 1250, I paid 850.

Maybe I will try Gumtree and see if I can get my money back. Then buy another project bike in the autumn.

Hmmm.

Top Bottom