I'm such a plum, cyclist down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
It's all experience.We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.I've nearly hit the odd pedestrian on the CS 3 which means I have to cycle slower and more defensive.Don't feel bad but move on and learn.:smile:

I hit a car on Maryland rounderbout (in 1987) and left a big paw print on his muddy back windscreen....luckily I was going slowly and had checked behind when the car in front stopped.My fault.I doubt he'd hate cyclists for this and would probably appreciate your honesty.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its strange on here. When a bike its a car "Accidents happen", "We all make mistakes"

When a car hits a bike the driver deserves instant hanging.

Whats all that about? ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been through a car window myself @helston90 , though in my case a windscreen and the driver admitted full responsibility.
Heal well and quick and hope it's all sorted to the satisfaction of all parties.

Lonestar

Veteran
That's what I noticed.No excuses just like when I nearly hit the ped on the CS 3...It would have been my fault for cycling too fast...Luckily I missed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As you say the OP took responsibility, admits they where travelling to fast for the conditions, where as when its the other way round the reasons(excuses) tend to blame the victim( Came out of nowhere, No lights, No helmet!!!!!!)
That happens.

But a lot of the the time fault is dished out before the glass is swept off the road.

U

User6179

Its strange on here. When a bike its a car "Accidents happen", "We all make mistakes"

When a car hits a bike the driver deserves instant hanging.

Whats all that about? ^_^

The OP endangered no one but himself, that is the difference, if he had hit a pedestrian then he would get a different response.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Slightly off-topic, but I recall an interview with a mounted Metropolitan Police officer.

He said his horse would walk into the back of a London bus unless he told it not to.

Presumably something to do with training to ignore traffic and the horse being unable to see forwards.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Glad the OP is OK, and the bike is undamaged, and the driver is happy that @helston90's insurance will cover the damage to the car... but can't help but wonder what would happen if it was me who'd crashed into that car... I don't have any insurance.

would thew driver's insurance cover the damage?
would I be expected to cover the excess?
would I have to pay for all repairs?

honestly don't know.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Glad the OP is OK, and the bike is undamaged, and the driver is happy that @helston90's insurance will cover the damage to the car... but can't help but wonder what would happen if it was me who'd crashed into that car... I don't have any insurance.

would thew driver's insurance cover the damage?
would I be expected to cover the excess?
would I have to pay for all repairs?

honestly don't know.

Yes, the driver's insurance would cover the damage assuming they were fully comp, which most people are.

The next stage depends on the attitude of the insurer and the insured.

The insured would pay the excess, but there's nothing to stop them trying to recover it from you.

Same with the cost of the damage - the insurance company could chase you for what they paid.

Many people in the cyclist's position would be most reluctant to take responsibility for their actions and cough up.

Thus any claimant has to establish liability and chase them through the courts for it.

Which - in part - explains the low opinion some drivers have of cyclists.

It also explains the driver's relief in this instance that the OP is insured.

She was probably expecting a shrug of the shoulders from him and to have to pay at least an excess and possibly increased premiums.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But why should the driver have to pay higher premiums after making a claim on his insurance, for an accident which is not his fault?

I am not sure of the procedure if the cyclist is not insured. Small claims court possibly?

Top Bottom