I'm such a plum, cyclist down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
The last part of my commute is through a city, there's a delightful part where the bus/ bike lane ends and all the queuing traffic just merge across to the left.

I always anticipate this well in advance and filter through a gap to the outside of the traffic, yesterday I completely stuffed it. The traffic was stop start, and I was obviously carrying too much speed to anticipate the car stopping, managed to ride straight into the back of the car.

Insurance covers the damage to the vehicle, ibuprofen is taking care of the whiplash to my neck and shoulders but what can I take to stop feeling like such a prat? I've carried out that manoeuvre a gazillion times before - I'm gutted that I've given car drivers another reason to tut at cyclists and my family and friends to point out that cycling is far too dangerous to consider doing.

IMG_20180522_090740730-01.jpeg

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Blimey, how fast were you going?

Venod

Eh up
Accidents happen, the good thing is your OK and have the cover to sort the motorist out, this should give you some brownie points with the driver.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
The last part of my commute is through a city, there's a delightful part where the bus/ bike lane ends and all the queuing traffic just merge across to the left.

I always anticipate this well in advance and filter through a gap to the outside of the traffic, yesterday I completely stuffed it. The traffic was stop start, and I was obviously carrying too much speed to anticipate the car stopping, managed to ride straight into the back of the car.

Insurance covers the damage to the vehicle, ibuprofen is taking care of the whiplash to my neck and shoulders but what can I take to stop feeling like such a prat? I've carried out that manoeuvre a gazillion times before - I'm gutted that I've given car drivers another reason to tut at cyclists and my family and friends to point out that cycling is far too dangerous to consider doing.

View attachment 410618

From the look of the car you are lucky you didn't break anything, other than your pride.

I am always concerned that if I have a prang, for whatever reason, the worst of it will be Mrs C R telling me how many times she told me how dangerous cycling is. It has taken the best part of six months to convince her that cycling to school with the monkeys would be fine.

GWS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Speed wise probably around 20 I would say, I hit the car at about 45 degrees to too out the window with my arm.
She was over the moon that I had insurance, she was also very emotional having just finished a 12 hour night shift at the hospital up the road.
Very lucky not to break anything - swmbo would take great pleasure in selling all my bike stuff if I did, luckily it sounds like I have one chance left!

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Don't sweat it !
We're humans, and make mistakes ..
Bikes and cars can be fixed, as long as you're ok, then alls good !
It's a lesson learnt so move on and don't dwell on it ..

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Couldn't you just say the sun was in your eyes, it was a misjudged overtake and you only 'clipped' it, or the car came out of nowhere, was hard to see as it didn't have any hi-vis, etc, etc...

As far as friends and family are concerned, reckon up how many miles you have cycled and compare that to the number of accidents you have had , hopefully that should show you how rare an occurance they are, as already said upthread,chalk it up to experience , learn from it and move on,

Reactions: C R

dhd.evans

Veteran

View attachment 410618

Have done this myself; ended up with mangled face, broken face-bones and lots of missing teeth - GWS and look out for incoming legalese from the car driver (i'm not a cynic, i'm a pragmatist).

si_c

Guru
Glad you're ok and the bike appears fine.:okay:

I wouldn't worry about giving cyclists a bad name though, you had insurance, so aside from riding into the back of the car, you did everything right.

Top Bottom