I'm such a plum, cyclist down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
But why should the driver have to pay higher premiums after making a claim on his insurance, for an accident which is not his fault?

I am not sure of the procedure if the cyclist is not insured. Small claims court possibly?

When an uninsured driver is involved some insurers will protect the no fault discount, but some don't. I think probably all the bigger ones do protect it, as they use that protection as an advertising point.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
some insurers will protect the no fault discount,

Never heard of a no fault discount. If you're referring to a no claims discount, that doesn't mean you are protected from premium increases, just that your level of discount will be retained.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It may not all be good news for this driver because even though she is claiming against the OP's insurance, I believe the claim will be put on her record in some form.

Hopefully, there won't be an impact on her premium or no claims, but I'm sure I've read of drivers in a similar position who reckon there was an adverse impact.

C R

Guru
Never heard of a no fault discount. If you're referring to a no claims discount, that doesn't mean you are protected from premium increases, just that your level of discount will be retained.

Sorry, meant no claims discount. The way I understand it with Direct Line is that if you have a incident, which is not your fault, with an uninsured third party they will treat it the same as a no fault incident with an insured third party, and would have no effect on either the no claims discount or the renewal premium, but will check again the policy wording.

As @steveindenmark and @Pale Rider say, it is rather unfair that a driver involved in an accident which is not their fault still might get a premium increase, even though being involved in the accident is no reflection of their actual risk as a driver.

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It may not all be good news for this driver because even though she is claiming against the OP's insurance, I believe the claim will be put on her record in some form.

Hopefully, there won't be an impact on her premium or no claims, but I'm sure I've read of drivers in a similar position who reckon there was an adverse impact.
This was part of my nagging concern - she'll have to declare it on her insurance renewal for the next 5/6 years, yes she'll get to tick a box saying driver not at fault but in the insurer's eyes she clearly drives in places where there are dangerous drivers/ cyclists and therefore is a higher risk than someone who doesn't. Hopefully with her being a being a female middle aged person with a 7 year old car it won't hike the cost too much.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, meant no claims discount. The way I understand it with Direct Line is that if you have a incident, which is not your fault, with an uninsured third party they will treat it the same as a no fault incident with an insured third party, and would have no effect on either the no claims discount or the renewal premium, but will check again the policy wording.

As @steveindenmark and @Pale Rider say, it is rather unfair that a driver involved in an accident which is not their fault still might get a premium increase, even though being involved in the accident is no reflection of their actual risk as a driver.
Discussions I’ve had with insurers after a premium hike post claim despite non fault and a protected ncb have revealed that the stats and algorithm insurers use show that any claim increases your level as a risk regardless of fault. @srw probably has more info

So yes, she may be penalised for the next 5 years through her premiums

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In this case the cyclist has insurance.

It doesn't seem fair for the driver's insurance to increase her premium when they won't have had to pay any claim or had a policyholder who made any error.

It's not certain that will happen, but the reported experience of others suggests it might.

Seems to me motor accidents of all types are to be avoided because you will probably lose out one way or another, no matter whose fault it is.

At the very least, it's a faff getting your car repaired - even if somebody else is paying,

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Hopefully with her being a being a female middle aged person with a 7 year old car it won't hike the cost too much.

Are insurers allowed to take gender into account? I thought this was now considered gender discrimination as of a few years ago.

Edit: to answer my own question.
Yes - it was a ruling made by the European Court of Justice in 2012 ... but it looks like insurers may be working their way around it by charging more for people in male-dominated jobs.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
She’s not being ‘penalised’ - it’s just part of the cost and risk of taking a 2+ tonne motor vehicle on the road.

If there were a substantive issue with cyclists and pedestrians causing significant levels of damage then there’d be a requirement for them to carry third party insurance. The reality is that there is no requirement as there isn’t a substantive issue. It’s unfortunate for her but, hey, that’s life... if you want to drive then I'm afraid there are costs involved.
As @Pale Rider says
So someone drives or cycles into the back of you...they have insurance so there’s no cost to you or your insurer...but still your premiums go up for the next 5 years because of this incident.
You’re indeed very understanding and accepting

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
GWS helston and hope it all works out for you and the driver. At least it was a nice soft Astra; my two car-bike-body interactions have been with a Volvo and an Audi. :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

In this case the cyclist has insurance.

It doesn't seem fair for the driver's insurance to increase her premium when they won't have had to pay any claim or had a policyholder who made any error.

It's not certain that will happen, but the reported experience of others suggests it might.

Seems to me motor accidents of all types are to be avoided because you will probably lose out one way or another, no matter whose fault it is.

At the very least, it's a faff getting your car repaired - even if somebody else is paying,

My son has had two no fault accidents, one when he was at home and someone hit his parked car and one when someone hit him on a roundabout and kept going. Neither resulted in claims but he still gets his insurance loaded.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s the reality of being a motorist. If you want to drive, you have to accept there are costs attached.
Yes, insurance to protect you and your vehicle if you are at fault (or due to fire, theft) and a third party vehicle, individual, property if you are at fault. Plus VED, servicing, maintenance, fuel. I do not believe that being financially disadvantaged because someone else was at fault shouid be part of the reality.

Anyhow, that’s my opinion as you are entitled to yours

JhnBssll

Veteran
Very glad to hear you're ok, it takes a decent amount of energy to break a windscreen like that.

Regards the fairness of insurance it can be quite absurd at times. The only claim affecting my renewal price at the moment relates to when my wife was driving my car. The fact I was not in the same county at the time the incident occurred is irrelevant; it affects my price and not hers as she is a named driver on my policy :wacko::laugh:

In fact come to think of it she only ever seems to crash my cars, never her own. Quite sensible really :laugh:

Top Bottom