important accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This like a backpacking / camping list; there's always the 'just in case' things that its wise to carry i.e., puncture repair stuff, pump, basic tools, mini first aid kit etc., but how often are they actually used - ? But of course Sod's Law dictates that the one occasion you leave that particlar item behind because you haven't used it in months will be the time you do actually need it. :blink:
So - basically just take the puncture repair stuff on the ride where you will get a puncture??

Which is basically my attitude to a helmet - it is only any good to you on the ride when you will fall off and bang your head - so only wear it on that ride
same goes with those heavy air bags in cars - take them out and save petrol - get them put back just before your accident

sorry - don't shoot me!!!!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
hi
what is the most important accessories have to buy ?

Start with a couple allen/hex keys and/or a spanner. You'll want these to adjust saddle height, brake lever position etc for a comfy fit.
A pump. Your bikes going nowhere without air in the tyres.
A puncture repair kit including tyre levers and a spare inner tube. At this time of year you'll not be wanting to be stranded by the side of the road/trail because of a flat. If the weather isn't too rotten, fix the puncture and save the spare tube for when it is too rotten.
These are things that I personally absolutely will not go out on the bike without.
I do carry a hell of alot more than that but that's down to personal preference. The list above is the bare minimum. It's pointless though if you don't know how to use the stuff in that list so if you're unsure, YouTube tutorials are a good way to learn....or you could just learn the hard way through trial and error like me, but it's less fun.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So - basically just take the puncture repair stuff on the ride where you will get a puncture??

Which is basically my attitude to a helmet - it is only any good to you on the ride when you will fall off and bang your head - so only wear it on that ride
same goes with those heavy air bags in cars - take them out and save petrol - get them put back just before your accident

sorry - don't shoot me!!!!

Re- tubes and puncture kit - only an idiot would go out without one for any distance, unless you fancy a long walk home. You may never need it, but I'm sure someone else might - pay it forward.

SWSteve

Guru
You can't get far on a single bottle in any sort of vaguely warm weather. And hate to disillusion you, but you can't cycle "forever" on two bottles. Maybe you have odd metabolism, don't cycle too far, drink your own urine though.

out of interest then, how many bottles do you carry?

out of interest then, how many bottles do you carry?
Two on any sort of ride beyond a tootle. On a day ride one of those is often one litre. In deep lockdown like the imminent one I tend to have an extra litre in a pannier, maybe even two. The water is also a carrier for energy powder. On a ride birmingham to south london (two stages) i once ran out somewhere near the chilterns and had to sneak some from a tap on a light industrial estate I found. Was very glad to find it. I also once sneaked onto someones drive on the dynamo night ride to fill up from their outside tap. Wouldn't do that at the mo of course.

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, but most of the stately homes, many council buildings and some rail stations have bottle refill taps or machines.
Good to know, another thing in favour of norfolk. Seem to remember that there's an app, covering london at least, that tells you where the bottle refill thingies are. Was very pleased to find one outside the good toilet block in main lyndhurst town carpark on a recent new forest/dorset mini adventure.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Good to know, another thing in favour of norfolk. Seem to remember that there's an app, covering london at least, that tells you where the bottle refill thingies are. Was very pleased to find one outside the good toilet block in main lyndhurst town carpark on a recent new forest/dorset mini adventure.
We try to add them to osm.org (and so cyclosm, cycle.travel, opencyclemap and so on) but covid paranoia and vandalism can make it a running battle at time.

Churchyards can also have taps but best watch for a meter near it to indicate it's mains water not collected rain. Allotment taps seem to be locked more and more now.

Fintious

Tyre levers and chain tool

SWSteve

Guru
Two on any sort of ride beyond a tootle. On a day ride one of those is often one litre. In deep lockdown like the imminent one I tend to have an extra litre in a pannier, maybe even two. The water is also a carrier for energy powder. On a ride birmingham to south london (two stages) i once ran out somewhere near the chilterns and had to sneak some from a tap on a light industrial estate I found. Was very glad to find it. I also once sneaked onto someones drive on the dynamo night ride to fill up from their outside tap. Wouldn't do that at the mo of course.

fair enough. I try and work with one 1l bottle on shorterrides, and two of them on longer rides. I don’t use energy drinks, just isotonic ones. But I also base my rides around visiting 1 or two cafes, where they seem to be take away only at the moment...

Top Bottom