important accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
1604063656634.png

So important it's required by law (when a new bike is sold/bought).
Edit: To be clear, I am not advocating that riders fit a bell, though the Highway Code recommends it.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It amazes me that lights are considered an accessory in the UK. They are not on any other vehicle. Why are they not supplied with lights. Just to squeeze more cash from people I suppose.

Dan77

It amazes me that lights are considered an accessory in the UK. They are not on any other vehicle. Why are they not supplied with lights. Just to squeeze more cash from people I suppose.
I wouldn't actually like that. You'd end up paying £20 more for your bike which would come with lights you would probably take off and replace with better ones. You can also easily move lights between bikes. I've got different mounts for my lights on each bike and just use the same set.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It amazes me that lights are considered an accessory in the UK. They are not on any other vehicle.
Vast majority of UK (indeed world) riding takes place in daylight.
Your amazement is irrational. Lights can very easily be fixed on and taken off a bike whereas this is not the case for other road vehicles.
Having said that, a new bike must, by law, have a bell fitted, and they too can be fixed on and removed (although not as easily). I do not know the historic rationale for this 'bell' law - maybe @mjr can help.

12boy

Guru
I've never found a bell, having tried Crane type brass ones as in the picture, which could cut through earbuds or two or more people talking. Perhaps an airhorn.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've never found a bell, having tried Crane type brass ones as in the picture, which could cut through earbuds or two or more people talking. Perhaps an airhorn.

A paint gun usually gets their attention

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I do not know the historic rationale for this 'bell' law - maybe @mjr can help.
Sorry but I don't know anything interesting on that one. I think it's as simple as bickering between MPs over years about whether cycles should have to have bells like cars have to have horns and the laws on sale and use have ended up out of step.

I can understand why lights aren't sold with bikes because requirements differ from the central Londoners basically only needing minimum-spec marker lights to riders on dark country lanes. What I don't get is why so many Brits buy junk lights or offroad MTB lights instead of good German-style ones and defend that mistake beyond all reason.

mjr

In winter, gloves are just normal but gloves or mitts are essential safety kit. In the event of a slide you will almost certainly drag your hands along the road. They heal slowly and painfully.
Better to minimise risk of sliding with treaded tyres for muddy roads and studded for icy. Gloves good to avoid getting cold and losing control too.

mjr

Gel doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. Squishy can be chafing. Get your sit bones measured and take it from there (or you may just need to toughen up a bit if new to cycling, padded shorts can help)
Gel doesn't necessarily mean squishy, either. Each to their own. Measuring is good though.

Top Bottom