Impossible to get new tyre onto rim. Please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

Hello, I am restoring a 1920's Hercules loop frame bicycle. I'm 99% finished but I have one big problem. I bought some cream 28 x 1 1/2 Schwalbe Delta tyres for it, which would look amazing if I could get the damn things on! The old tyres are 28 x 1 1/2, and so are the new ones, it says so on the side, but the new ones have a wire bead on them and it is impossible to get them on the rim. I have searched online for a fix to this problem, i've tried greasing up the rim and bead to help it slide on and I am making sure the bead is right in the well of the rim, but it just will not go on, it seems like the bead is far to small for the wheel, even though they are the right size tyres. I have managed to damage the tyre a bit trying to get it on so now i can't sent them back so need to find a way to get them on.

Please help!

screenman

Legendary Member
Cool the rims and heat the tyres, failing that where are you there maybe somebody local who can help. I know if you were local to me I would say pop it around, two heads are better than one.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Have this problem all the time. Fairy liquid is your best friend. Get the tyre on as much as you can then use a tiny amount of fairy liquid on the last bit of the rim and on the inside of the tyre. It's still a fight but it will eventually go on.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Have this problem all the time. Fairy liquid is your best friend. Get the tyre on as much as you can then use a tiny amount of fairy liquid on the last bit of the rim and on the inside of the tyre. It's still a fight but it will eventually go on.
I have tried this using bearing greace, but it still wont go on, it seems the bead is far too small for the rim.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Is it possible to cut and remove the beads? If so it should go on then. Or would I be best taking it to a bicycle shop to do it? I don't mind paying I just need to get them on asap.

I had a similar problem today,got the front on eventually but after snapping two tyre leavers I gave in and took the wheel to my LBS,fitted in about five minutes.Charged me £2.00.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

The tyres are most probably designed to fit on a rim that has a diameter of 622mm. That is a 700c rim which is the common road bike tyre size. They should have 622 - 35 or 622-37 stamped on them. If that is correct, then the rim should have a diameter of 622 mm and a circumference of 1954mm. The rim might have numbers on it that help save you from needing to measure.
There are other sizes that are described as 28" that are different though and your rim might be one. The 700b size where the rim has a diameter of 635. If it is, the bad news is those tyres just won't go on. There is good news though, Schwalbe make a Delta cruiser in 635-40 which no one will stock but should be able to order.
Thanks, I think thats the most likely reason why they wont go on, they are simply the wrong size. Thanks.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

The tyres are most probably designed to fit on a rim that has a diameter of 622mm. That is a 700c rim which is the common road bike tyre size. They should have 622 - 35 or 622-37 stamped on them. If that is correct, then the rim should have a diameter of 622 mm and a circumference of 1954mm. The rim might have numbers on it that help save you from needing to measure.
There are other sizes that are described as 28" that are different though and your rim might be one. The 700b size where the rim has a diameter of 635. If it is, the bad news is those tyres just won't go on. There is good news though, Schwalbe make a Delta cruiser in 635-40 which no one will stock but should be able to order.
These are the ones I bought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261634746889?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

ChrisEyles

Guru
The old westwood profile wheels are a bit of a swine to change tyres on. I did a set of 26" wheels this Summer with much cursing, and am currently putting off fitting new tyres to a 28" wheel 1937 roadster, for as long a I possibly can!

Talc/fairy liquid, a bit of welly with the tyre levers, and lots of cursing, and you should get them on!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Spot on! As usual, Sheldon has the detailed lowdown. Given the age of your bike, it's almost certainly the 635 size, and you'll have absolutely no chance of making a 622 fit your rims.

Edited: the ones off ebay sound as if they might be the right size. Described as 700 by 38B - I'd be more confident if they were described as 700B by 38. The Spa ones, 635-40 are almost certainly OK - Spa make damn sure nobody buys these by accident:
"Note: these are 28" (635) cruiser tyres and will not fit 700c rims"

Last edited:
Top Bottom