Improving strength

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul_1979

Hi all... Just after a bit of advice...

Cycling was the only thing that I could do and stick to. I didn't really see it as anything other than great fun with massive benefits and I totally fell in love with it. As my fitness improved, I found myself in a positive cycle of getting into a bit of running, eating better and loving the results.

Between personal issues, an accident and a new job (that i think in the long run kept me sane as a result of the focus I had to put into it) this resulted in a negative cycle of losing fitness, weight gain and for some bizarre reason, that I can only put down to an early mid life crisis, I began to smoke full time.

Things are a LOT better now I'm happy to say. Cut the fags last year and am feeling better every day for it. As a result, I can breath on the bike and the enjoyment is back (even if the fitness and mileage is slower to catch up)

What I'd like is tips to improve my general strength/core strength.

Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received.

PK99

Legendary Member
This is as good a place to start as any:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...o--Beginner-strength-exercises-for-cyclists-0

Gym work is a key component of the training plans of all members of the Great Britain Cycling Team. With significant health benefits and injury prevention along with performance gains it’s arguable that strength training is even more important for amateur riders. EIS strength and conditioning coaches Scott Pearson and Joe Hewitt explain the key exercises that you can use to improve all aspects of your cycling performance.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...-exercises-for-cyclists-0#7JsT2EFwDZa722v2.99

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
IMG_0009.JPG

Performance gains? Can't see it myself.

Core and strength training is used, imo, to counteract the negative impact of sitting in the saddle all day. Won't make you a better cyclist, but will definitely make you a fitter and healthier individual.

Try some weightlifting. Great for upping the testosterone levels naturally, improving posture and core strength and, believe it or not, weight loss.

PK99

Legendary Member
Performance gains? Can't see it myself.

Core and strength training is used, imo, to counteract the negative impact of sitting in the saddle all day. Won't make you a better cyclist, but will definitely make you a fitter and healthier individual.

Try some weightlifting. Great for upping the testosterone levels naturally, improving posture and core strength and, believe it or not, weight loss.

Core strength for cyclists is about much more than that.

Why core strength is important for cyclists

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/training/strong-to-the-core-31235#AYvYCAMm1FkQw378.99

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Note that the OP isn't a racing cyclist and doesn't say that they are looking to maximise cycling performance only.

As to specific advice, I don't really have any. There are all kinds of things out there, some of which are a bit gimmicky, some of which are great fun. Some are expensive, some are free. You need to find something that gives you the benefits you want, that you enjoy - which keeps you going back, that is within your means. And that's going to be a very personal thing if/when you find it.

Maybe try circuit training at your local gym. Some people (not me) like swimming.

Debade

Über Member
I have tried many approaches. The one that has worked best for me is the High Intensity Interval Training approach.

I mainly use bands or light weights with aerobic movements. Workouts are 20-30 minutes not including stretching which is also very important. Do not underestimate it.

I also strongly suggest a professional trainor, at least for a few months. He/she will create the workouts. And, help with proper form. And, provide a stretching routine. Since trainors are not created equally, take your time to find the right one. Make sure they know how to modify exercises for your ability.

WelshJon

Used to do a fair bit of heavy lifting in my pre cycling days,
Workouts were usually 5 x 5 big compounds lifts, rather than gym bunny bicep curls and ab crunches.
My 'core' got hell of a workout doing things like barbell squats, deadlifts and standing shoulder press. Although these days if I had that spare 90mins to do these workouts + travel back and fore the gym + shower time, id rather spend it on the bike.

If you're not trying to train for a specific goal, I wouldn't worry too much about targeted gym training / weight training. The best way to improve your strength, and more importantly muscle endurance, is just to ride more, up the intensity of the riding, vary the terrain. Gym work is never really a bad idea, just not necessary for improving things for a leisure / sporting type cyclist. Eat a balanced diet, cycle more, job's a goodun. If you do decide you want to compete / get super serious, then there are lots of resources available to guide you, as and when you need them.

S-Express

Do you somehow feel that your general strength/core strength is deficient, or is holding you back in some way? If so, how? Might also be worth clarifying what you mean by 'general strength'?

Info like this can go a long way to helping forum members provide a more focused response to your question, and may also prevent a war from breaking out.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all... Just after a bit of advice...

Cycling was the only thing that I could do and stick to. I didn't really see it as anything other than great fun with massive benefits and I totally fell in love with it. As my fitness improved, I found myself in a positive cycle of getting into a bit of running, eating better and loving the results.

Between personal issues, an accident and a new job (that i think in the long run kept me sane as a result of the focus I had to put into it) this resulted in a negative cycle of losing fitness, weight gain and for some bizarre reason, that I can only put down to an early mid life crisis, I began to smoke full time.

Things are a LOT better now I'm happy to say. Cut the fags last year and am feeling better every day for it. As a result, I can breath on the bike and the enjoyment is back (even if the fitness and mileage is slower to catch up)

Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received.

Drink raw eggs and carry frozen cow carcasses up stairs.

Ive never got on with just core training. YMMV but I have more success with full body work outs with heavier weights. If I were an elite cyclist that may bulk me up a bit - but at my paltry level it doesn't matter.
Had less injuries since I've been doing this - also more motivating to see yourself racking through the weight rather than loads of planks and bridges.....all IMO of course...

Top Bottom