In praise of: The NHS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Background: I often think I live in a different Universe to that presented to me via the Media and the forums I frequent. On the subject of the NHS I am now of an age where my friends and older family members are starting to suffer the ravages of Old Father Time and in a few cases the visit of his best mate The Grim Reaper. :sad: To a person, those that I know who have experienced the NHS first hand, have been nothing short of praise for the NHS care that they received at hospitals in Kendal, Barrow, Lancaster, Preston, Darenth and The Royal Marsden. This is at odds with the Media presentation of the NHS.

From Wednesday night until late last night Lovely Wife and I have been to Hell and back. Spoiler: story has a happy ending.

Exhibiting some odd symptoms I visited my GP early on Wednesday morning and was floored by his initial assessment. Sent home I was asked to return in 2 weeks for a review. I was in complete shock as was my wife. As the day wore on I was sinking further into distress and I requested a repeat visit to see another GP which was granted with zero hassle that evening.

So at 6.30pm my wife and I sat in front of aforesaid GP listening in horror to what she had to say. I was visibly distressed and then amazingly she said that she can try to speed up the process so that I could at least know the state of play and begin to plan for the future - albeit not a good future at all.

One phone call later and I was booked into the Royal Infirmary Lancaster Ambulatory Unit for 9am yesterday (Friday).

Cue appalling sleepless night/tears etc.

Friday morning came and we set off to the RIL full of doom and arrived at 8.30am for our 9.00am appointment not knowing what to expect.

On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant clinical care assistant who quickly described how Ambulatory Care worked. We'd never heard of it as a service - basically if you are a mobile ie can walk patient you are 'admitted' as an In Patient, albeit without a bed and receive the same services as you would expect from being on a ward etc.

The day commenced on schedule and we were stunned as it scrolled out. Three consultations, a battery of blood/neurological tests and a CT Brain Scan, all with full diagnostic reviews and feedback to us, progressed seamlessly over a period of 7 hours.

7 hours that seemed like an eternity but that also went by in the blink of an eye.

The Doctor & Consultant were stunning, very friendly, very compassionate and spent an age answering our concerns and questions. The two nurses involved must have a degree in empathy, kindness and consideration. The CT/IR department was brilliantly efficient as was the 'Bloods' unit.

Whoever thought up this process is a genius and as for the people running this particular unit words fail me - it was effortless and staggeringly reassuring. As an In Patient I even received lunch! None for Lovely Wife though as she wasn't a patient. I offered her a share but she was so terrified of the potential outcome she couldn't eat anyway.

As the various results came back through the day we were instantly, and I do mean instantly, updated. Our hopes began to rise and the Brain Scan was the final hurdle. Waiting for the results we just 'zoned out' - hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Around mid-pm we went in for the final review. Good news! Full explanation. Condition was treatable/curable and of no long-term concern. Initial assessment by GP ruled out etc.

We were both in tears. I hugged the Doctor, my wife hugged him too (lucky man - my wife really is gorgeous) and I was 'discharged' with some drugs and advice etc.

What a couple of days - as I said; we went to Hell and back.

So, what a fabulous service (we praised every member of the team in person and the hospital COO has a missive on the way). A service we had never heard of and one that absolutely amazed us against a doom and gloom backdrop of an NHS in crisis.

Maybe we are just lucky where we live. Maybe the Royal Lancaster is an exceptional hospital. Maybe Ambulatory Units are not common. Maybe we were fortunate that the unit was staffed by exceptional people. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

All I can say is that, apart from a great outcome for me, what a thoroughly brilliant service from our wonderful NHS and my thanks go out to everyone involved.

(Sorry this post is a bit long.)

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Really pleased to hear that there was a happy outcome. Only time you'll ever hear me praise a spoiler.

Catweasel

Another big fan of the NHS, and its EU cousins, here - from ears bring ripped off in the UK to aggressive bacterial gastroenteritis in Lisbon. chemical burns to both eyes in Dublin and bruised metatarsals in Vienna - all free of charge, all professionally treated and all with respect to respective language barriers. The NHS is something we all need to support as much, and as often, as we can. It should be front and centre of any campaign IMO.

D

Deleted member 1258

Glad to hear of the positive outcome spokeydokey. I was in the coronary ward for stenting in 2008 and in a general ward with waterworks problems in 2012 and was effectively and well treated both times, my only complaint was being set home to early in 2012 and having to be readmitted, pressure on bed spaces. I don't think some people realize what a good service we get from our NHS, they only seem to see what goes wrong.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@SpokeyDokey Sorry to hear you've had such a scare and so glad to hear you had brilliant service and things have turned out ok. I also love our NHS and have nothing but praise for it too. One of the public services that I think most of us would gladly pay another penny or two on taxes to maintain.

@Mo1959

Thanks Mo - hope all ok your end. It was a hell of a scare and has caused a lot of rethinking of things here at this end.

I am very fortunate to lead a great life but, as ever, you can get complacent. Has really focussed me in a few key areas of my life.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Very glad that you are going to be ok and had such a good experience with the awesome NHS.

My husband is on dialysis, 3 times a week and receives excellent care. I had a bit of a falling out with an American acquaintance who dissed the NHS and it's waiting times. I pointed out that without her insurance, the American hospitals would have let her die with her condition (her insurance has since stopped funding her condition and wouldn't let her renew privately after she had to stop work). I gave her a real piece of my mind and told her to butt out of things she has absolutely no understanding of.

Having crashed off many horses, and motorbikes, I have nothing but praise for the NHS and think that it's wonderful. Yup, we might have to wait around a bit at A&E while children with a sprained finger go ahead but it's still a marvel. I've been patched up more times than I can count. The media's bashing (and idiots on FB whinging that they had to wait a whole 2 hours) really annoy me. With a husband with end stage renal failure, I know how lucky we are to have such amazing healthcare. His healthcare and treatment, is second to none.

We did a lot of rethinking of our lives when Hubster got really ill. Total life change, a lot less money but totally worth it. Rethinks are a good thing @SpokeyDokey and I hope your treatment goes swimmingly.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Many of my close relatives have made their living working for the NHS. When it is good, it is very, very good (you know the rest).
We should support it, or it will be (totally) sold off, and deteriorate to the point where it is "not for resuscitation".

Top Bottom