In praise of titanium - and Spa Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

One of many bottom lines: Is a Ti bike lighter than a steel one? Looking at the Spa website, they conveniently have a 753 steel Audax bike and a 3al 2.5v Ti Audax bike. Everything else is identical (it's the Shimano 105 double). The Ti bike is 9.7kg for a 54cm and the steel 10.2kg.

What this means, I've no idea. (All my bikes are steel)

I also stumbled across these articles. Interesting, non hyped, reading.

This is my take. Ti does have a place within the family of bike frames. When I decided to build a "keeper" I chose the most durable material, lighter than aluminium, low maintenance, no fatigue concerns and that one could take it anywhere without worrying about salt spray and such. I was also aware that Carbon despite its immense value to the pro and most folks for its lighteness and maximum power transmission due to its stiffness was never a lifer as it could break at anytime. It did explain why Wiggo threw his bike.

During my research for a proper Ti frame I quickly realised that its inherent weakness were the welds. From price , the focus quickly turned to companies that were noted for their build quality. The literature started to turn to Soviet submarine welders with deep experience to a company that had background in handling Ti and welds parts for NASA rockets. What was interesting was the price differential between established and the newer ones were actually not much.

I also learnt sometime ago reading Sheldon Brown that only 3 factors impacts quality of ride - saddle, tyre and one's body. He actually used the term "B.S." for all else.

Last edited:

Citius

He also quotes that titanium has a place in the bike frame family - but i guess you decided to ignire that bit or yellow saddle would unfriend you and cast you into the abyss and back to bike radar where in inherently belong.

Sorry, I'm afraid that's not correct. I've never said it didn't have a place. As I've previously said on this thread (you obviously glossed over that post), I've owned Ti bikes and they're 'ok', but don't let the facts get in the way of another ad hominem, eh?

Seriously though - I can live with the fact that you don't seem to like me. But your pathetic attempts at bullying are really really embarrassing. Practically every post of yours in reply to one of mine contains a personal attack of some form or other. There is something particularly virulent about you and it is very, very nasty indeed. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I'm guessing you won't be.

What I do find particularly odd is that the moderators seem to be allowing you to carry on like this with impunity.

Last edited:

Cyclist33

Sorry, I'm afraid that's not correct. I've never said it didn't have a place. As I've previously said on this thread (you obviously glossed over that post), I've owned Ti bikes and they're 'ok', but don't let the facts get in the way of another ad hominem, eh?

Seriously though - I can live with the fact that you don't seem to like me. But your pathetic attempts at bullying are really really embarrassing. Practically every post of yours in reply to one of mine contains a personal attack of some form or other. There is something particularly virulent about you and it is very, very nasty indeed. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I'm guessing you won't be.

What I do find particularly odd is that the moderators seem to be allowing you to carry on like this with impunity.

I think you have to actively report a post or poster before the mods will consider taking action.

Since the decision making process lacks transparency, I can't give you any opinion on whether action would be likely to be taken.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

You came into this thread on page 10 post 138 - the first thing you did was highlight a quote of mine and throw personal insults, nothing you posted was about the OP.

Numerous people within this thread and within numerous other threads have called you out for being an internet troll, going through various threads and cycling sites and posting venomous threads about posters, but you call me a bully and very nasty, now i am no more a bully than you are, but i will stand back from your comment and take stock of what i post.

But if you honestly think that your an innocent by stander and are whiter than white, i'm afraid your sadly mistaken.

Citius

going through various threads and cycling sites and posting venomous threads about posters,

Can you clarify that bit please?

It's worth pointing out that I have not had a single moderator warning since joining here (how many have you had, incidentally?) - and I do post on BR too - using a username (not this one) which has not changed for several years. I don't have any problems with people like you on BR - probably because there is nobody like you on BR. But I'm fascinated - who is it you think I am?

jowwy

Can you clarify that bit please?
No i dont need to as its within other posts within cycle chat and id rather spend my sunday afternoon watching the tour de france while cooking sunday lunch for my family, than trawling through posts just to put your mind at rest.

Now i have asked you in numerous occassions to be please leave me be, stop dragging my name into posts when i have not been in the thread and to stop constantly quoting everythinh i write, when other posters are saying exactly the same thing but you take it in yourself to ignore and only quote me. I will add the moderators to this post and if they are not happy with my reply they can let me know.

Now i ask you kindly again, please leave me be, let me enjoy my time on cycle chat, let me enjoy reading the threads posted and allow me to post without fear of more trolling from your good self @Moderators

Citius

No i dont need to as its within other posts within cycle chat and id rather spend my sunday afternoon watching the tour de france while cooking sunday lunch for my family, than trawling through posts just to put your mind at rest.

Now i have asked you in numerous occassions to be please leave me be, stop dragging my name into posts when i have not been in the thread and to stop constantly quoting everythinh i write, when other posters are saying exactly the same thing but you take it in yourself to ignore and only quote me. I will add the moderators to this post and if they are not happy with my reply they can let me know.

Now i ask you kindly again, please leave me be, let me enjoy my time on cycle chat, let me enjoy reading the threads posted and allow me to post without fear of more trolling from your good self @Moderators

So it's perfectly ok for you to make unfounded accusations about me - but you don't have to provide any evidence when asked? That's the kind of blundering arrogance I have come to expect from you. You like to dish it out - but when you get asked to clarify it, you go crying to the mods instead. As I've said before - you seem like a deeply-troubled 'individual'.

Anyway, the mods needn't worry.

jowwy

So it's perfectly ok for you to make unfounded accusations about me - but you don't have to provide any evidence when asked? That's the kind of blundering arrogance I have come to expect from you. You like to dish it out - but when you get asked to clarify it, you go crying to the mods instead. As I've said before - you seem like a deeply-troubled 'individual'.

Anyway, the mods needn't worry.
More personal abuse i see.........

Top Bottom