Info about cycling in Sussex in early 1950's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't know if this is the right part of the forum for this, but I'm interested in finding out some historical info. Even though I've just found the pleasures of the bike in my 50's having done the football followed by marathons and then the gym thing both my parents raced when they were younger. Such were the cycling links that on their wedding day they left the church with a guard of honour of cycle wheels. Anyway, the info I'm really keen to find out about is about my mum. She is well into her seventies now. We have some old faded press cuttings from papers (mainly the Evening Argus) but very little other info about her achievements both on the road and on the track, particularly times etc. Has anyone any ideas as to how i might access this sort of stuff, or are they likely to be lost in the mists of time?

Wardy

You could try writing a letter to your local rag. There might be people in the area who still have the info you want. Or perhaps ask in your local library.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
Many thanks for the suggestions. I am not local to the area where she grew up, having spent the majority of my childhood in Hampshire and been resident in the Reading/Wokingham area since 1980. She lived in Haywards Heath, not an area I know at all well although there are some of her family in the area, so maybe I could start with them and see if they have any leads, most are elderly though. Knowing what the local papers were from around 1950 - 52 would also be useful. Once again thanks for the help.

Top Bottom