Injured and bored

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
GWS.
I done my wrist, smashed the scaphoid, a few years back. Bloody nightmare! Make sure you do the physio recommended to recover fully and build the strength up. My physio was a 20 stone ex-rugby player who delighted in making me pick up hundreds of individual grains of rice from a tray!
Hope your on the bike soon.
Oooo.....now a 20 stone ex rugby player sounds fun! :smile: I should be so lucky!!
But joking aside.....there were worries at one point that mine was a scafoid injury...soooo glad it wasn't! I was warned of the horrendous complications that could have meant!! Distal radius....painful enough, but the lesser of the two evils. Yes...I am being very strict re exercises :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was denied cycling, and swimming, for 6 weeks last autumn due to an eye op.
I kept moving by buying some walking boots and using them!It wasn't quite the same as a decent ride, but at least it kept my fitness levels up a tad and ready for 6 weeks + a minute!!
I feel your pain for being of of the saddle for so long..

OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
I was denied cycling, and swimming, for 6 weeks last autumn due to an eye op.
I kept moving by buying some walking boots and using them!It wasn't quite the same as a decent ride, but at least it kept my fitness levels up a tad and ready for 6 weeks + a minute!!
I feel your pain for being of of the saddle for so long..

OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
Yes....I walk when cycling is not practical.... I Walked 200 miles of the south west coast path during the Summer.... But your right.. It's not quite the same...:sad: I have to say....I need to buck myself up...and quick! :/
This was meant to reply to Pete...but I don't think it worked?

postman

Legendary Member
Eight months off my beloved bicycle.Due to Prostate bleeding.Mind you no gardening either,or anything to do with lifting.It worked EVERYTHING is so much better now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Join the club Jenny. I've been off my bike since late August. Well not entirely off, as i managed a few miles after breaking my hip, then i only went and broke it again! One of the things i've learnt from the experience, look after yourself and put yourself first as you're soon forgotten.

OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
Join the club Jenny. I've been off my bike since late August. Well not entirely off, as i managed a few miles after breaking my hip, then i only went and broke it again! One of the things i've learnt from the experience, look after yourself and put yourself first as you're soon forgotten.
You must be climbing the walls!!! I'm being careful not to rush back into things as I will be living on a boat by the end of this year ...so can't risk putting myself in vulnerable position Wrist needs to be strong! But I'm soooo stuck without my wheels! It's been really comforting to know I'm not alone tho.....don't feel such a wuss now :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I snapped my femur 3yrs ago and although they inserted an intramedullary nail it didn't heal so after 7months they removed that and put a bigger one in (after drilling the inside of the bone out to fit it) During physiotherapy they got me onto an exercise bike and the guy said "It's a pity you've not got one at home" so I toyed with that idea and also with fitting one of my bikes to a 'turbo trainer' but then I had a brainwave and bought a trike.
Not managed to fall off that yet. :cycle:

OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
I snapped my femur 3yrs ago and although they inserted an intramedullary nail it didn't heal so after 7months they removed that and put a bigger one in (after drilling the inside of the bone out to fit it) During physiotherapy they got me onto an exercise bike and the guy said "It's a pity you've not got one at home" so I toyed with that idea and also with fitting one of my bikes to a 'turbo trainer' but then I had a brainwave and bought a trike.
Not managed to fall off that yet. :cycle:
Brilliant!!

D

Deleted member 1258

I had a month of the bike after my heart attack in November, drove me bonkers, I'd been back on my bike about a month and went down with the lurgie that was going round at the time, another three weeks of the bike, started pedalling again last week.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's been many years since I broke my left wrist but I don't remember being told to stop cycling. I probably didn't at very first because the road buzz would have been painful even not holding the bars, but I think the bike I used then had front brake and the only gear-shifter (twist-grip for the rear) on the right, so I suspect I may have ridden it with the cast still on. It wasn't a bad break, though, and hadn't required resetting.

I am thinking about going for a little ride today. I've waited till the roads are dry. Looking out the window they look like they are. I'll be nervous but it has to be done sooner rather than later.
Don't trust it: find the iciest nearby spots (I look at a near-perpetual puddle in the shade at one end of our access road and a gardening trough to the northwest of our building) and see if they've thawed. If they haven't, studded tyres only! Or if you've got none and it's a vital trip, wide tyres, soft rubber, lower-than-usual pressure and saddle and try to keep to treated roads (councils put maps online).

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I presume you're mobile? After spending 2 years in and out of hospital with periods of up to 4 weeks bed bound I know the boredom feeling. There is only so much TV and internet available, and books tend to get boring real quick.
My recovery was walking and cycling (and still is), so as others have suggested, find a good podcast or playlist and go for a stroll. Having 2 dogs helps with that....

Top Bottom