Injured and bored

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
I suppose there could also be a safety aspect...the pain inflicted when needing to brake could cause one to lose concentration for a moment, which of course is all that's needed to cause an accident. Even if the good wrist can be used, the automatic pilot kicks in. I've only just started being able to squeeze toothpaste out the tube without cringing...let alone squeezing a brake lever....and I consider myself to have quite a high pain threshold. Quite a number of my cycling buddies have said ...don't even think about trying! It's not worth the risk. Better safe than sorry :sad:

OP
OP
JennyWr3n

JennyWr3n

Regular
I presume you're mobile? After spending 2 years in and out of hospital with periods of up to 4 weeks bed bound I know the boredom feeling. There is only so much TV and internet available, and books tend to get boring real quick.
My recovery was walking and cycling (and still is), so as others have suggested, find a good podcast or playlist and go for a stroll. Having 2 dogs helps with that....
Yes...I walk a lot...with dog and iPod...and sometimes run (but need to wear knee straps)... But not the same.... It wouldn't be so bad if I had a car and go further afield...but I'm also a motorbiker!!! Clutch wrist stuffed!! Thanks for the encouragement :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... try to keep to treated roads (councils put maps online).
That's useful - I didn't know that. Hang on ...

Gritting map.jpg

Yes, you are correct - thanks! :okay:

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's useful - I didn't know that. Hang on ...

View attachment 334883

Yes, you are correct - thanks! :okay:
Actually - what that doesn't tell is that usually it's only the main carriageway that's gritted - any cycle lanes or tracks can be full of ice even when the adjacent road is clear. :sad:

Every year, we encourage Norfolk County Council to remind motorists that they advise people to cycle on the roads and mostly they do, but that's pretty rubbish really.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually - what that doesn't tell is that usually it's only the main carriageway that's gritted - any cycle lanes or tracks can be full of ice even when the adjacent road is clear. :sad:

Every year, we encourage Norfolk County Council to remind motorists that they advise people to cycle on the roads and mostly they do, but that's pretty rubbish really.
There are not many cycle lanes round here and the ones that there are usually have cars parked on them anyway!

I have been riding a bit further out in the road recently because of the amount of gritty crap closer to the kerb.

Top Bottom