Inner tubes or repair kit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,
I always carry 2x inner tubes with me whenever I go out as I had been told that a repair kit wouldn't be any good on my racer( refuse to call it a roadie..) as the repair wouldn't take the pressure.

Now is this utter lies and I have been merrily living a lie or can I indeed take a repair kit instead ?
Ta

Citius

Utter lies.

matiz

Guru
You can take a repair kit but I take 2 tubes for speed while I'm out then repair the the puncture when I get back

I carry two tubes as well as some self-adhesive patches. I am currently riding on a tube in my rear that was repaired with a self-adhesive patch as I got the puncture in my own garden and I could find it easily as the bit of hawthorn hedge was still sticking out of it. It takes 8BAR and 97kg of me.

rb58

Enigma
It always puzzles me why people say "repair kit". As in reality, for an emergency repair when away from home, the instant patches are great, and the 'kit' is not much larger than a 10p piece and probably weighs less. That said, I take a spare tube and gas - the patch is for those REALLY bad days!

OP
OP
Incontinentia Buttocks

Incontinentia Buttocks

Über Member
Oooo instant patches, I'd never heard of them, and now I have. I like the look of them, no mess. I call it a kit as that's what it says on the tin(Box) but then I call my uniform "kit" and pretty much everything else "kit" too. 97Kg and 8Bar, now that's a repair!

I carry tubes and a kit, the kit is more for others than me as I ride 700C and lots of my club are on 26" so if I can't loan them a tube I can at least fix it.

Oooo instant patches, I'd never heard of them, and now I have. I like the look of them, no mess. I call it a kit as that's what it says on the tin(Box) but then I call my uniform "kit" and pretty much everything else "kit" too. 97Kg and 8Bar, now that's a repair!
Just make sure you give the surface of the tube you are mending a really good going over with the metal scraper before attaching the patch. I thought this was necessary to give the glue a "key" but it was suggested on here the other day that you need to break up the glaze on the tube moulding, which makes sense too. Either way, do it!

Top Bottom