Installing a dynamo hub & lights on the Charge Plug commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I remember visiting the Bike Show in London quite a few years ago. Son ( Schmidt ) had a demo set up with two wheels next to each other, one with a Schmidt dynamo hub and a different brand ( Shimano? ) both wired to identical lights. You could spin the wheels and then switch the lights on and see the effect of the load on each of the Dynamos and how it affected the spin down. The Schmidt was outstandingly good. They also had a cutaway of the internals which was very impressive as you could see the sheer number of bars on the Commutator compared with a similar sized Armatures, and the number of poles in the frame.

In my working life I used to repair Generators and similar stuff so I found it fascinating ( my Wife less so ;-) )
The Man himself was there and seeing my interest came over for a chat, very passionate about his Dynamo's but I struggled to keep up with his Technical expertise.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Part of the attraction is the ease of having automatic lights in all conditions without having to remember to charge batteries, although I will retain the seat stay mounted rear light as well

I did this for the same reason, I liked having the rear dynamo light. Only reason I don't still do this is my current commuter doesn't have a rack fitted.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Shimano dynohubs have very low lights-off resistance if you adjust the bearings properly. They're usually very tight out of the box. I haven't used an SP hub but my Shimano 3N80 spun more freely than my SON28 once the bearings on the former were adjusted.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Shimano dynohubs have very low lights-off resistance if you adjust the bearings properly. They're usually very tight out of the box. I haven't used an SP hub but my Shimano 3N80 spun more freely than my SON28 once the bearings on the former were adjusted.

I was referring to the drag under load, the design of the Son with far more commutator bars and pole shoes resulted in less " cogging " and a far longer and smoother run down.

This is quite a few years ago so I appreciate that the gap is not so great , it's just the other mechanical stuff like pressure equalization and vapour barriers to protect the integrity of the internals, all not outwardly visible that might not have been copied.

I use a Shimano disk dynohub powering B&M front and a cheaper Smart under the rear rack.
Dynamo f/r lighting is trouble free, fit and forget. I would not plan to remove it in summer. You need lights in the evening and the advantage of removal are not worth the trouble. If you want a play bike, get another one.
If your rear rack is hollow, consider running the wire inside.
I dont like the idea of running wires that close to the rear dropouts, they could get damaged during wheel removal.
My wiring route is along the top tube brake cable then across to the top of the rear mudguard, then up to the rear lamp.
I like your idea of shrink wrapping and might try it next time I change outers.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The front light arrived today so I've started fitting things ^_^

Front light on and cable taped to inside fork leg with clear gorilla tape:

20190116_180942.jpg

I checked the rack and it is indeed hollow so made a small hole near the rear light mount and fed the cable down:

20190116_191322.jpg

I found what I think is the safest route around the dropout and cable tied the wires flat to the frame out of the way:

20190116_191426.jpg

20190116_191338.jpg

Then I taped the wires to the hydraulic hose for now, I'll be picking up a new hose shortly and will tidy it up later :tongue:

20190116_191449.jpg

That's all the progress for today, I'm hoping the hub will arrive soon but the rear light seems to be on backorder so will fit bits as and when they arrive and update the thread :smile:

si_c

Guru
I have the same hub, it's been on my commuter for over a year, and the lights are on permanently and I don't notice it. Resistance when off is almost unnoticeable as the wheel spins for ages.

I think dynamo lights are the best upgrade you can make to an all year round bike.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have the same hub, it's been on my commuter for over a year, and the lights are on permanently and I don't notice it. Resistance when off is almost unnoticeable as the wheel spins for ages.

I think dynamo lights are the best upgrade you can make to an all year round bike.

Great to know someone else has the same hub with good things to say about it :okay: I had read a few positive reviews but it's always nice to hear a real world perspective.

I got some more bits today and made some progress. Brake hoses shortened and rear wires tidied with heat shrink as planned. I also swapped the crown bolt holding the light on for a new stainless one :okay: Unfortunately the lbs didn't have the right length spokes in black so they have ordered them for me, I'll probably have to wait until Friday to build the wheel now but I stripped it down and laced a few silver spokes in to see what length I'd need so shouldn't take long to build up :becool:

Some photos ^_^

20190119_184459.jpg

20190119_184507.jpg

20190119_184519.jpg

20190119_184528.jpg

20190119_184542.jpg

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
That hubs looks the same as one of mine. Got it fitted summer/autum 2017 and not had a single hiccup.
In fact I’ve just had another one (in bright red this time) fitted to my single speed so I don’t have to keep swapping wheels around.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
No spokes yet, delivery delayed to the lbs so they're now expecting them early next week :okay: I had an email through from TNT this morning telling me the rear light should be delivered tomorrow so that was a nice surprise - the Rose Bikes website had originally stated 7 weeks as it was on backorder :laugh: I'm looking forward to getting it back together and trying the upgrades out :okay:

Top Bottom