Installing a dynamo hub & lights on the Charge Plug commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I fitted the rear light today, I'm waiting on some heat shrink before I wire it up and test it then tidy the cables. It should arrive tomorrow via the wonders of amazon prime :laugh:

Anyway the light is nice and compact as I'd hoped, it'll be interesting to see how bright it is but from what I've read the B&M stuff is pretty good :okay:

20190126_194434.jpg

DRHysted

Guru
I fitted the rear light today, I'm waiting on some heat shrink before I wire it up and test it then tidy the cables. It should arrive tomorrow via the wonders of amazon prime :laugh:

Anyway the light is nice and compact as I'd hoped, it'll be interesting to see how bright it is but from what I've read the B&M stuff is pretty good :okay:

View attachment 449176

I’ve recently fitted one of those after water got on and made my old light unreliable. It’s really quite bright. I also have it backed up with a dynamo light fitted on the mudguard where you’re reflector is.

DRHysted

Guru
Opps my rear is a different model (must be failing memory) & my installation is nowhere near as good as yours.

Attachments

• D2DF65D0-E8C5-46B3-AB50-058FDA709C58.jpeg
    D2DF65D0-E8C5-46B3-AB50-058FDA709C58.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 6B68DB0A-99BB-42E3-B821-9EB19C939F69.jpeg
    6B68DB0A-99BB-42E3-B821-9EB19C939F69.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 46
  • A76701D0-E8E1-401E-BAD9-FB3B36044A91.jpeg
    A76701D0-E8E1-401E-BAD9-FB3B36044A91.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Opps my rear is a different model (must be failing memory) & my installation is nowhere near as good as yours.

Pretty similar looking bike overall :okay: Even down to the blue Hope skewers :laugh:

That rear light looks like it is the same model but the clear lens version :okay: I'm going to keep a battery powered rear light on the seatstay in case of problems with the hub or wiring. A neat install isn't always better, if it works it works. I'm just a tad anal about these things :laugh:

Thanks for the pics, nice bike :okay::becool:

DRHysted

Guru
Pretty similar looking bike overall :okay: Even down to the blue Hope skewers :laugh:

That rear light looks like it is the same model but the clear lens version :okay: I'm going to keep a battery powered rear light on the seatstay in case of problems with the hub or wiring. A neat install isn't always better, if it works it works. I'm just a tad anal about these things :laugh:

Thanks for the pics, nice bike :okay::becool:

Yep, I use the fly6 as a backup rear light, I also keep a battery front light attached just in case something goes wrong.
Apart from when the rear got flooded I haven’t had any problems yet, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

View attachment 449176

I have the SON version of that but with the reflector fitted as well via the B&M bracket. Good solid light and cable.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have the SON version of that but with the reflector fitted as well via the B&M bracket. Good solid light and cable.

Same rear light. In 6000km, the ‘spade’ fitting for the rear light has dropped out of the front light housing twice. Easily remedied though. I think every couple of years I will take the electrics apart, snip off the old, fatigued ends and replace and redo.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The heat shrink arrived today so I finished off the wiring to the rear light - a quick spin of the hub suggests its working :okay:

I spliced two wiring kits together to end up with the correct terminals at either end. I made the join an inch or so from the rear light end of the wire and soldered the joints putting a small length of heat shrink over each. I then put a larger diameter heatshrink tube over these new connections and the spade terminals to keep it all dry.

20190127_145721.jpg

Looks pretty neat from the back - Since I took this photo I have lined up the screw heads :shy:

20190127_145737.jpg

And it's now hanging from the rafters again, hopefully the spokes will arrive tomorrow and I can build the wheel up and test it all out :becool:

20190127_152623.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I got a chance to cycle in today and test it out. Overall I'm really pleased with it - I can't tell it's there resistance wise and the light it puts out is fantastic. I think there's probably less light overall, but it is so well distributed that this more than makes up for it. I would go as far as to say the visibility is better than with my higher power battery light :okay:

A few minor niggles; the lens has fogged up slightly which is annoying, I'll be sending a photo to B&M and asking if it's normal behaviour but I suspect it isn't.

20190206_090412.jpg

Also I didn't tighten the bracket fully to allow for minor adjustment, which had the effect of allowing the light to drop with every bump in the road :laugh: I'll tighten it up shortly :okay: Overall a great upgrade once the niggles are sorted :becool:

si_c

Guru
I got a chance to cycle in today and test it out. Overall I'm really pleased with it - I can't tell it's there resistance wise and the light it puts out is fantastic. I think there's probably less light overall, but it is so well distributed that this more than makes up for it. I would go as far as to say the visibility is better than with my higher power battery light :okay:

A few minor niggles; the lens has fogged up slightly which is annoying, I'll be sending a photo to B&M and asking if it's normal behaviour but I suspect it isn't.

View attachment 451119

Also I didn't tighten the bracket fully to allow for minor adjustment, which had the effect of allowing the light to drop with every bump in the road :laugh: I'll tighten it up shortly :okay: Overall a great upgrade once the niggles are sorted :becool:
Looks like the weather seal is imperfect, I'd say that's s warranty replacement unfortunately. Definitely shouldn't be fogged.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looks like the weather seal is imperfect, I'd say that's s warranty replacement unfortunately. Definitely shouldn't be fogged.

That's my feeling too. On the plus side, the light will only get brighter with no fog on the lens :laugh: I've contacted the shop where I purchased the light from and will await their reply :okay:

si_c

Guru
That's my feeling too. On the plus side, the light will only get brighter with no fog on the lens :laugh: I've contacted the shop where I purchased the light from and will await their reply :okay:
I doubt theyll do anything other than swap it out.

On the upside you've just got it all sorted in time for the part of the year it's most valuable :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
After chatting to a couple of B+M techs I've decided to hang on to the light for the time being - they reckon the lens assembly isn't sealed, only the electronics are waterproof so some level of fog on the lens is unavoidable in certain conditions and that it doesnt affect the function. I'm not sure I'd completely agree with that but to be fair the lens cleared and it hasn't reoccurred since so I'll stick with it for now. They've logged it in case it turns in to an issue further down the line :okay:

I've got to say I'm still super impressed with the lights, definitely a worthwhile upgrade and one I'd reccommend to anyone considering it :okay: It still feels weird walking away from the bike with the lights still shining bright :laugh:

Top Bottom