Installing a dynamo hub & lights on the Charge Plug commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ Just get used to people telling you that your light is still on. It's kind of them and irritating at the same time.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
^^^ Just get used to people telling you that your light is still on. It's kind of them and irritating at the same time.

Funny you should say that, I was only thinking earlier how strange it was that nobody has mentioned it yet... I'm sure it's only a matter of time though :laugh:

alicat

Legendary Member
Turn the Dynamo off as you roll up to a railway station. Least they approach you about a red light on a platform.

I keep a black neoprene purse with a carabiner attached to slip over the back light when on a station platform. Saves no end of grief.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I keep a black neoprene purse with a carabiner attached to slip over the back light when on a station platform. Saves no end of grief.

There's a button on some B&M rear lights to 'dump' the capacitor to stop you showing a red light after coming to rest.

There is also a switch on the rear light to enable you to use the front on its own.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There's a button on some B&M rear lights to 'dump' the capacitor to stop you showing a red light after coming to rest.
On mine (Toplight Line), it's an actual "off" switch. The capacitor charge doesn't get dumped, and the light comes on again as soon as you move the bike sufficiently (about 1/4 wheel rev, unless moved slowly).
I did once have a 4d-Lite+ that had contacts on the outside that you could short with a key to dump the capacitor charge. Memory say that was less of an instant off.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On mine (Toplight Line), it's an actual "off" switch. The capacitor charge doesn't get dumped, and the light comes on again as soon as you move the bike sufficiently (about 1/4 wheel rev, unless moved slowly).
I did once have a 4d-Lite+ that had contacts on the outside that you could short with a key to dump the capacitor charge. Memory say that was less of an instant off.

Mine had both, a tiny slider switch that isolated the light, and a bigger orange button that emptied the capacitor.

Once or twice I accidentally threw the slider switch with my cleaning rag, leading to frustration when the light wouldn't work later.

Top Bottom