Insurance premiums for young drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
He has a 2016 Ford fiesta with a 1litre engine. I think this is ridiculous to punish young drivers like that.

The most stolen car in the UK, probably (along with Corsa's etc) one of the most crashed for young drivers and lastly able to go from 98BHP to 160BHP with a basic remap for £300 and half an hour on a lap top.

High premiums come with the territory on popular cars.

If he wants cheap insurance then go with a low group, non turbo, less popular car that doesn't have much cred. As Drago mentioned, something like a 107.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
who are you being 'watched' by? And don't you have Alexa so the US are already watching :whistle:
1. I don't have Alexa.
2. I have watched learner drivers for years and taught them how to drive. I am not going to be watched by insurance companies and be told how to drive.
3. This is my final answer.

vickster

Legendary Member
1. I don't have Alexa.
2. I have watched learner drivers for years and taught them how to drive. I am not going to be watched by insurance companies and be told how to drive.
3. This is my final answer.
2. They aren't telling you how to drive, they help young drivers to reduce their insurance premiums by monitoring that they drive legally ...simples
But it's your grandson's money

"I won't drive with a black box recorder despite the lower insurance because I don't want big brother judging how I drive or where I go"
The UK has one of the highest levels of public surveillance on the planet; with ANPR and CCTV, the authorities have a pretty good idea where your car is almost all the time anyway.
Furthermore, the live traffic view on google or apple maps is generated almost entirely from smartphones sending their location data back to their servers, so unless you've opted out of sharing location data and have means of stopping third party apps from accessing your location, you're pretty much trackable at any given time.

I can't wait for black box recorders to become mandatory. Ideally coupled to GPS-based speed limiters and systems for providing the driver with quickly accessible feedback about their driving - instead of an end of year "hey we watched your driving and you're rubbish, your premium is going up/we're cancelling your policy".

While I'm not questioning your ability, in my experience most drivers think that they're better than average, which is both mathematically impossible and observably untrue.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Do they still do Third Party insurance?
Yes you can still get third party cover but it doesn’t save much for a young driver.
The third party cost is the main risk to insurers due to the fact the maximum loss is unknown. Injuring 4 young passengers as you roll into a ditch at 60mph could cost millions in care and future compensation. The car will only cost a few grand.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Your ECU records everything you do, including when you open a window or the tailgate. That's how they nailed the crossbow killer in Wales recently.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
You either adapt or pay up.
Whilst it is annoying and financially demanding, young drivers have always been penalised. There is a reason for this.
Child 2 passed her test last year a few days after her 18th birthday. But she knew beforehand she either paid a substantial premium or her choice of car was limited. She chose the latter and went for a high spec VW Up! - It gave her the toys, but is essentially a city car. Her premium was still £1,400 (fully comp) with a black box, but she appreciates the reason for the black box and it works in her driving habits.- Her 'phone regularly receives updates about her driving standard and projected next years premium. To date the projected premium is £600 less than her current one, but it remains to be seen if this is translated into actual figures on renewal.
Interestingly, two of her friends who are the same age, both passed their driving tests around the same time. Cars and insurance funded by their parents and no black boxes have to date resulted in written off cars; two in the case of one friend and one in the other.

Drago

Legendary Member
I seem to recall my Allaggro was 400 odd quid when I was 17 - in real terms thats on a par with what many kids pay today, so they should shut up and stop bleating because the previous generation suffered too and just got on with it. If they don't like it they will find the bus or a bicycle much cheaper to run, and better for their health and society.

alicat

Legendary Member
i'll see you and raise you. I passed my test at 17 and a half and bought my first car 14 years later. At 59 I'm now four years into the ownership of my third car.

Top Bottom