Insurance premiums for young drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
As said above if hes set in his ways at 17 (which I doubt) hes in for a difficult life.

yeah lets lock the stable door but only when the horse has fecked off

genuine question....why do you see it as a punishment ,
Give the kids a chance. They are not all hooligans. They are just starting up in life and most are on low wages. I don't think hammering them from the start is not helping. I think that if you make them aware from the start that if they don't behave they will be hammered, then they know where they stand.

vickster

Legendary Member
Give the kids a chance. They are not all hooligans. They are just starting up in life and most are on low wages. I don't think hammering them from the start is not helping. I think that if you make them aware from the start that if they don't behave they will be hammered, then they know where they stand.
You said he is stubborn and set in his ways which is not good for a 17 year old who has his whole life in front of him living in society.

There is a reason why young (especially male) drivers get hammered on insurance and the black box was introduced to give them a chance of lower premiums IF they don't drive in the way that young drivers have in the past (which has led to the high premiums). If he won't take a black box, then he (and others) shouldn't whinge about the higher premium. That's his choice.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My first policy on a 1.9 SDI Polo was £1400, I thought that was expensive (in 2010)

That premium would be a signal that driving wasn't for me. Paying £300yr now comprehensive with IAM advanced test, my bike is less than £150 🙊

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

If someone is on low wages you have to question buying a car. A car is about the most expensive thing you’ll own after property. Car are just cash sinkholes even when you can afford it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As a former ADI I can tell you that good advice makes bugger all difference to many youngsters.They'll nod their heads and agree with you, but then go out with a car full of mates and start showing off. It normally ends up in a ditch.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My grand son passed his driving test first time this morning at the age of 17 and a half. When he called his insurance provider, he was told his premium is now £276 per month !:cursing:
He has a 2016 Ford fiesta with a 1litre engine. I think this is ridiculous to punish young drivers like that. My opinion is to give them a chance to prove they are going to be sensible, but if they drive like idiots and crash through their own fault, then ok, charge them high premiums.
I know he could have a black box fitted that would reduce his premiums by £800 a year but he refuses to do it despite every body advising him to have one.
When I got my first car [at 19], a 1200 beetle, I couldn't afford comprehensive insurance so got third party fire and theft which was a fraction of the cost. Your grandson's car isn't worth the cost of the insurance he's having to pay so he might be able to save the equivalent value of his car in the first year by going 3PF+T. Should he damage his car then he isn't any worse off but it might make him drive more safely anyway.

Do they still do Third Party insurance?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I got my first car [at 19], a 1200 beetle, I couldn't afford comprehensive insurance so got third party fire and theft which was a fraction of the cost. Your grandson's car isn't worth the cost of the insurance he's having to pay so he might be able to save the equivalent value of his car in the first year by going 3PF+T. Should he damage his car then he isn't any worse off but it might make him drive more safely anyway.

Do they still do Third Party insurance?
That may have been a long time ago. TPFT can be almost the same or even more expensive than full comp now as it is reckoned that drivers who chose the latter are more careful types.

Third party only is still available, but not from all insurers and those that do can be wary about who they offer it to.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I, personally, would resent having a black box in my car but , at my age, I drive sensibly , don't speed and , as an ex ADI , a black box would make no difference to my driving.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
That may have been a long time ago. TPFT can be almost the same or even more expensive than full comp now as it is reckoned that drivers who chose the latter are more careful types.

Third party only is still available, but not from all insurers and those that do can be wary about who they offer it to.
Ah well, it was worth a thought! I couldn't have had a car without it! [but that was in 1978!]

I, personally, would resent having a black box in my car but , at my age, I drive sensibly , don't speed and , as an ex ADI , a black box would make no difference to my driving.
I

I don't understand why you would resent having a black box . You have stated you are ex adi and that you drive sensibly so again a genuine question why would you resent something that ( in your own words) makes no difference

Drago

Legendary Member
You said he is stubborn and set in his ways which is not good for a 17 year old who has his whole life in front of him living in society.

There is a reason why young (especially male) drivers get hammered on insurance...
It's unlawful to charge a male driver more for their insurance than an otherwise identical risk female. That type of sexist profiling has been banned for a few years.

And rightly so, because once adjusted for numbers the cost to industry for their claims was actually little different to the females.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I

I don't understand why you would resent having a black box . You have stated you are ex adi and that you drive sensibly so again a genuine question why would you resent something that ( in your own words) makes no difference
Only for the fact than I would be watched all the time ( big brother again) and I don't need that in my car.

Top Bottom