Insurance premiums for young drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Daughters insurance when she passed went up to (I think) £1.600 F/C with a black box
(2014 Vauxhall Adam 1.4)
After the first year, upon renewal, it dropped to about £1,300
BUT, that coincided with a move to Birmingham (Kings Heath/KIngs Norton area) for University

Then, due to a change in circumstances (not liking the course & coming back home 1), it was reinsured to here
As I paid it, I got a £250 rebate, due to the postcode difference:okay:
(for all the usual reasons)

So... hopefully, when it's renewal time later this year, it'll be sub £800?
(in which case, she can pay it herself)

1. But, changing courses, & going to a University within Yorkshire, come September

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well I was lucky. When I was 17, my Dad added me as a named driver on his Cavalier 1.6. I paid him the increased fee that it cost to add me (£~45 a year). I used the car for going to college and for going out in town. This was before "fronting" was picked up on. it wasn't until I was about 22 that I got my own car, and by that time the insurance wasn't too bad.

stephec

Legendary Member
As said to me by a guy I met through work-

My daughter's got a black box in her car, so because I drive like a little old lady I take it out for an hour a few times a week to help get her premium down. 🤔

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As said to me by a guy I met through work-

My daughter's got a black box in her car, so because I drive like a little old lady I take it out for an hour a few times a week to help get her premium down. 🤔
We have some friends whose daughter lives at college (roughly 20 miles away), during the week and comes home at weekends. However, she drives to college on Sunday and her Mum brings her car back, with the reverse happening on Friday. During the week her Mum and Dad split their driving between their cars and their daughter's, purely to clock up the miles for the black box.
Mrs B and I can appreciate the wish to get the insurance premium down, but in terms of their daughter gaining driving experience :wacko:

What about people who kill innocent bystanders while 'racing' who are not young? It's a tw@t thing, not an age thing.
Insurance companies are pretty good gamblers and have access to a lot more data than your average punter.

It's seems to be innate in most young men to need to show off, and to have little sense of mortality or consequences.
There are indeed plenty of tw@ts out there, but young men are basically helpless thrall to their hormones.

Heaven knows that I, the most level-headed individual on the planet, would have done some stupid crap in a car if I'd taken and passed a test when I was 17. (I was an excellent driver at 17. I am still an excellent driver, and that is only part of the reason why I never got round to taking a test. It makes it impossible to prove me wrong :biggrin:)

Top Bottom