Insurance premiums for young drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My sons insurance is £180 a month for a 2006 Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 Turbo 109PS. It was cheaper than a Polo SE but his has fancy alloys and spoilers.

He opted for no black box as he does quite a lot of miles and is often out late (volunteering for St John's Ambulance) so these boxes don't suit anyone.

The Fiestas and Corsas are more expensive due to popularity.

He does have a dash cam, came in useful when he got rear ended recently. Not sure how a black box company would view his recent track day. That cost him a pair of front tyres. :rolleyes:

The car does have radar and auto braking so that helps with the insurance.

Last edited:
Is it an ecosport version? The turbo boosts the BHP to round 150 which is similar to an Audi A1. If that is the case I am not surprised the premium is over £2k.

PK99

Legendary Member
D2 had young person's policy.
Black box.
Monthly Premium reducing during policy on basis of driving record.
9 month policy earning 1 year no claims.

Julia9054

Guru
My eldest has gone with a black box for his first year‘s car insurance. It doesn’t limit when he can drive but he is a bit worried about the mileage he might do. He is a musician so - never having had a car before - it is very difficult to predict his annual mileage as he doesn’t have a regular place of work. It brought his annual cost down by about £400 so seemed a no brainer.

As said above if hes set in his ways at 17 (which I doubt) hes in for a difficult life.

I think this is ridiculous to punish young drivers like that. My opinion is to give them a chance to prove they are going to be sensible, but if they drive like idiots and crash through their own fault, then ok, charge them high premiums.

yeah lets lock the stable door but only when the horse has fecked off

genuine question....why do you see it as a punishment ,

fossyant

It's unlikely to be the tuned ecoboost, but Fessies and Corsas are the most expensive. My son did extensive research into which car he could afford. He was thinking about a little Hyundai i10 as that was still around £150 a month, but only when we say the Fabia did he research it, and it came out reasonable. When we looked at it, and the Polo, he was saying, there is no way, fancy alloys, rear spoiler, front and side skirts and fancy alloys, plus sports interior - quite surprised when it came out cheaper than a normal Polo.

PS he had an i10 as a hire car for 4 weeks when his was being repaired. He hated the lack of power (60 ps) and the fact it was worse on fuel.

Black boxes are great if you aren't going to be doing lots of miles.

D

Deleted member 1258

It's unlikely to be the tuned ecoboost, but Fessies and Corsas are the most expensive. My son did extensive research into which car he could afford. He was thinking about a little Hyundai i10 as that was still around £150 a month, but only when we say the Fabia did he research it, and it came out reasonable. When we looked at it, and the Polo, he was saying, there is no way, fancy alloys, rear spoiler, front and side skirts and fancy alloys, plus sports interior - quite surprised when it came out cheaper than a normal Polo.

PS he had an i10 as a hire car for 4 weeks when his was being repaired. He hated the lack of power (60 ps) and the fact it was worse on fuel.

Black boxes are great if you aren't going to be doing lots of miles.

Was that the 1 liter? The 1.2 is supposed to be the better one of the two

fossyant

Was that the 1 liter? The 1.2 is supposed to be the better one of the two

The Hyundai - I think it was the 1.0 as it's only 60 PS - Nothing wrong with it, but coming from a car with almost twice the power was a shock. He did say getting on motorways was a bit tricky. These new turbo charged petrols are giving almost diesel efficiency - my son can get upto 50 mpg on his commute into Manchester.

fossyant

Driving isn't an entitlement, and niether is cheap insurance. You buy the first if you can afford it, and you only earn the latter down the line if you prove you deserve it.

It's not reasonable to expect cheaper insurance with no track record, and it was never thus. We've all had to earn it.

Exactly. Hence why my insurance is very cheap - no accidents and I'm no kid.

D

Deleted member 1258

The Hyundai - I think it was the 1.0 as it's only 60 PS - Nothing wrong with it, but coming from a car with almost twice the power was a shock. He did say getting on motorways was a bit tricky. These new turbo charged petrols are giving almost diesel efficiency - my son can get upto 50 mpg on his commute into Manchester.

I thought it was the one liter, they make a nice runabout but as you said a bit of a shock to the system if you're used to a more powerful car

dodgy

I don't think he will drive like a nob as he is fanatical about his car. He keeps it religiously clean, inside and out

Which matches the profile of a lot of kids in the 'cruising' community, you know, turn up at mcdonalds to show off to 15 year old girls with crap driving.

Of course I'm not saying that clean car = nutter! But get familiar with the websites and culture of this community and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I can't echo enough what others have said. For anyone looking to buy their first car, I'd tell them to look for affordable cars first, get a quote, and then buy the car that attracts the cheapest premium. Preferably an "older persons car".

My cousins lad bought an old range rover for a grand, and as so few are owned and crashed by youths, the insurance was something stupid like £350 per year. Even if it's a gas guzzler, you'd more than make up the MPG lost by the amount you might save in insurance.

Oh, and I also knew a lad that had a black box fitted, he drove so badly that they cancelled his policy. It's quite telling of the person who drives that badly with full knowledge that their car is being monitired constantly! It certianly was a wake up call for him

Top Bottom