Insurance required for cycle lane use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just been informed by my locval council that insurance is required to use cycle lanes, but not the roads.

Anyone else come across this one before?

oldroadman

Veteran
Complete nonsense, although anyone wise might join BC or similar to be 3rd party covered. There is no legal requirement for insurance for cyclists, probably because it's unenforcable. Ask the council to quote the relevant section of the road traffic act to you. That'll keep the numpties busy for years. They'll be telling you that helmets are compulsory next. As a matter of interest, which council? name and shame!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Complete nonsense, although anyone wise might join BC or similar to be 3rd party covered. There is no legal requirement for insurance for cyclists, probably because it's unenforcable. Ask the council to quote the relevant section of the road traffic act to you. That'll keep the numpties busy for years. They'll be telling you that helmets are compulsory next. As a matter of interest, which council? name and shame!

Calderdale council, who also happen to put the majority of cycle lanes in place, round here.

Could it be due to a rise in the number of cyclists & an easy way to make some money. They may be the only ones that offer the insurance.

ohnovino

Large Member
If they're referring to cycle paths on private land, then they can probably have whatever rules they want (like British Waterways and their cycle permit scheme).

If they mean cycle lanes on public roads, then they're talking rubbish. Or it's a late April Fool.

Bman

Guru
LOL

Arguably, the designs of most cycle lanes are so poor they are dangerous. By requiring (or even recommending) insurance, are they not just proving that their designs and infrastructure is rubbish and dangerous!?

Therefore, in the even of a claim, who would the insurance company pursue!?

The Council!

They really thought about this one, didn't they!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ask them to send you documentation about it.. We all want a laugh as to what they produce (if anything)

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Just sent them this
"Can you please give a scource as to where you got the information that cycle insurance is required for use on cycle lanes."
Now await a response.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
They refuse to elaborate, so I cannot say where they got it from.

Do we have a mass demonstration of uninsured cycles using lanes & see what they do?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I think they realise a mistake has been made which is why they are refusing to elaborate. I could, like the council be wrong however. There is only one real way of testing this though.

Top Bottom