Interesting encoutner with Red Driving School instructor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Agree.

And I think it was this driving school who I have encountered driving poorly in the last 6 months in Manchester.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Slight over reaction maybe?

Yeah, sometimes things happen, but can't you just put it down to experience and move on?

I am fascinated by the number of people whose first reaction is always to write and complain to Head Office, or make sure that somebody is disciplined and lose's their job.

Its as if these Head Camthings makes some cyclists take the high moral ground.

Has nobody on here never made a mistake driving or cycling ?

The driving instructor appeared to endorse that terrible pass. If he teaches all of his students to pass vulnerable road users as if they don't exist, what kind of example is he setting? How do we know this is not a pattern of poor behaviour he is instilling in learner drivers as opposed to a "one off" lapse of judgement?

The instructor needs guidance and retraining, but I don't think he should lose his job.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Slight over reaction maybe?

Yeah, sometimes things happen, but can't you just put it down to experience and move on?

I am fascinated by the number of people whose first reaction is always to write and complain to Head Office, or make sure that somebody is disciplined and lose's their job.

Its as if these Head Camthings makes some cyclists take the high moral ground.

Has nobody on here never made a mistake driving or cycling ?
That's the "relax - nobody was killed" argument!

I think trying to prevent people being killed is better than waiting until they have been and then complaining about it!

Our local council tried using that argument to avoid installing the traffic lights here. An official actually said that they weren't needed because "nobody has been killed there". The fact is that cars were having to come out below a bend onto a fast downhill stretch of a busy main road. Okay - nobody had been killed - so far, but there were minor accidents and near-misses on that junction on a regular basis so, sooner or later, something horrible was going to happen there. The townsfolk made a fuss and we got the lights!

The overtake by the 'RED' driver under instruction by the RED driving instructor was inexcusable and a complaint should be made to RED and to the Police (IMHO!) If drivers are being 'instructed' to drive like that, then what chance do we have?

+1

And why? Just how many people will this guy teach the same bad habits to this year? And next? And the next?

classic33

Leg End Member
Had a head on incident with a RED driving instructor, on his phone, coming through a set of lights on a pedestrian crossing the wrong way here, facing the correct way.

What we have to remember/think about is that these people are teaching others how to drive. If they are showing someone that something is acceptable, no matter the consequences. Then maybe its time to start asking who's instructing the instructors?

Attachments

• Pedestrian Zone.jpg
    Pedestrian Zone.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 142

Sheepy1209

Veteran
My wife's at an advanced stage of ADI training - with a local independent, not one of the big 'schools'.

There seems to be nothing in the syllabus, test, or materials typically used by PDIs (a pre-qualification ADI) which adds anything to a typical driver's knowledge about cyclists. A driver who thinks two feet is plenty of room won't have any reason to change that view unless a) their instructor makes the effort to teach correct passing of cyclists or b) they fail their Part 2 because of a poor pass. (Question: how much do driving examiners know about cycling?)

I don't believe the driving standards required of an ADI are particularly advanced, and the hardest test to pass is Part 3 which is all about teaching technique. Obviously most ADIs take pride in their profession and work hard to achieve a high rating. Unfortunately instructors with RED are likely to be fairly inexperienced and may be only partially qualified (I can't be sure whether RED uses PDIs for teaching).

An ADI is assessed on a 6-level scale, with 1-3 being a fail, and 4-6 being progressively higher ratings. They need a 4 to initially become an ADI, and are subject to 'check tests' regularly, at which their rating can be changed (not sure what happens if they fall below the minimum standard though).

If you complain to the Driving Standards Agency there's a possibility it might trigger a check test, but I don't think they can directly reprimand an ADI.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I have been known to tell poor driving instructors that "if you drive like that on your test day, love, you'll fail". Winds them up no end

Cut the video to show the overtake only

Then comment on the overtake and how it was too close, frightening and your concern that such a move was performed by a driving instructor.

Keep it polite, but firm.

Then get a few people to make comments about how having seen that they will not be using Red

Then get a few friends to Phone Red, refer the to the video and state it as a reason they will not be using the Company.

Finally a couple of similar letters to the Head Office.

Then sit back and imagine the instructor's face when the calls start

Cut the video to show the overtake only

Then comment on the overtake and how it was too close, frightening and your concern that such a move was performed by a driving instructor.

Keep it polite, but firm.

Then get a few people to make comments about how having seen that they will not be using Red

Then get a few friends to Phone Red, refer the to the video and state it as a reason they will not be using the Company.

Finally a couple of similar letters to the Head Office.

Then sit back and imagine the instructor's face when the calls start

Absolutely, we could do this. It's not that hard to make certain videos top of a google/youtube search.
Although there is also a video on there from the watchdog/don't get done get Dom type programme about Red screwing over their trainees too.

Crankarm

Guru
Sign up as a learner, go for a lesson and once behind the wheel scare the crap out of him of course not putting any other road user at risk or breaking any rules. Ever seen the car chase in French Connection? Like this which should focus his mind to drive more carefully in future.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, that's quite a good idea Cranky! What about rather than a scary drive, Uncle Phil could wear a couple of covert cameras and give the instructor a suitable roasting, prepared with the highway code pictures, pictures from the video clip, details about reporting to the DSA, and how he's screwing up the future drivers he trains.

In fact we need Cunobelin to write the script!!!!

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1606699"]
Won't work, the ADI should ask to see your (provisional) license to make sure that you are legal to drive before the 'lesson' starts.
[/quote]

OK book a "refrsher lesson" as you" haven't drove for a few years" beats the provisional licence issue.

always a solution to a problem.

failing that Dlock the windows in

Top Bottom