Interesting encoutner with Red Driving School instructor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
You've mellowed since you started posting here.

used to be quite mellow but some of the eejits on here make me think awww why not just lower myself to their standards :rolleyes:

maybe i should have put a smiley after the Dlock comment .

jmaccyd

I don't believe the driving standards required of an ADI are particularly advanced, and the hardest test to pass is Part 3 which is all about teaching technique. Obviously most ADIs take pride in their profession and work hard to achieve a high rating. Unfortunately instructors with RED are likely to be fairly inexperienced and may be only partially qualified (I can't be sure whether RED uses PDIs for teaching).

An ADI is assessed on a 6-level scale, with 1-3 being a fail, and 4-6 being progressively higher ratings. They need a 4 to initially become an ADI, and are subject to 'check tests' regularly, at which their rating can be changed (not sure what happens if they fall below the minimum standard though).

If you complain to the Driving Standards Agency there's a possibility it might trigger a check test, but I don't think they can directly reprimand an ADI.

I have done the ADI driving test (twenty years ago), along with numerous 'advanced' driving tests, and have to say it was the hardest of them all. It is a one hour drive over a range of conditions with a maximum of six minor faults allowed. As for the standard driving test one major fault is a fail.

The grading you refer to relates to in car teaching, so is a reflection on how you teach pupils and not on your own personal driving standards, as you are not actually driving during the checking process. The ADIs personal driving standards are not assessed though their career by this system. It should also be stated you only get a limited number of attempts to pass each part of the ADI exam, you can't keep failing like the standard driving test and just keep going to pass.

'Back-in-the-day' when I did my ADI cycle safety WAS considered important with the main push at the time being to increase the use of the left hand mirror before turning or pulling over to the left entirely because of concerns for two-wheeled traffic.

Top Bottom