Internal Cabling Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
im currently building up a Kinesis Ti Granfondo frame and wanted to ask for any advice about the best way to thread the rear brake cable outer through the frame. The channel has a length of stiffish wire threaded through it as shown below with the piece of masking tape hanging off it.

546DA0AD-20DE-444A-BC15-48BC3C5C718A.jpeg

I’m fairly happy with the gear cable inners being threaded through the other (right-hand) port, as tubing has been provided through which to thread the inner cable.

But I’m not sure about the brake cable outer though. I could tape the wire to the outer but am a little concerned about them parting company part-way down the frame tube.

Perhaps I’m supposed to cut the curly end off the wire so it’s straight and then feed the cable outer down the wire?

Anyone here faced this dilemma before?

Thanks in advance.

Graham

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
im currently building up a Kinesis Ti Granfondo frame and wanted to ask for any advice about the best way to thread the rear brake cable outer through the frame. The channel has a length of stiffish wire threaded through it as shown below with the piece of masking tape hanging off it.

View attachment 411105

I’m fairly happy with the gear cable inners being threaded through the other (right-hand) port, as tubing has been provided through which to thread the inner cable.

But I’m not sure about the brake cable outer though. I could tape the wire to the outer but am a little concerned about them parting company part-way down the frame tube.

Perhaps I’m supposed to cut the curly end off the wire so it’s straight and then feed the cable outer down the wire?

Anyone here faced this dilemma before?

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Never faced this issue but your suggestion sounds like would work.

Is the other end of the wire not curly? If not I'd leave the curly bit for now and thread the outer upwards - thus leaving the curly bit to stop the wire falling into the down tube.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Never faced this issue but your suggestion sounds like would work.

Is the other end of the wire not curly? If not I'd leave the curly bit for now and thread the outer upwards - thus leaving the curly bit to stope the wire falling into the down tube.

Curly both ends.

I assume to prevent it disappearing inside the frame tube.

DaveT

Über Member
On my internal frame, the cable outers would thread over the top of the prethreaded wire. Super easy. But might need uncurling in your case.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Ok. It seemed to go alright.

I couldn’t thread the outer all the way along the wire through the frame tube, only about the first two inches made it onto the wire. This may be because I wasn’t able to perfectly straighten the wire combined with the fact I was using a compressionless outer which is very stiff.

Two inches seemed to be enough though, as I managed to feed through by pushing the outer from the top and gently feeding the wire out the bottom hole using it as a guide rather than as a mechanism to pull through. What I didn’t want to do is pull the two inches of wire from the outer.

Job done!

:okay:

Graham

Top Bottom