Is 35C tyre a common size or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wot sexist videos?
It seemingly got removed

Well jury very much out then on whether it was any such thing.

Off to elections today, while they still exist.

Trust my polite ballot paper won't be torn up without the simple simple courtesy of telling me as I wander home.

Simple reason for the baffling dogtrousers - you have strayed into an Orwellian world on the subject of tyres.

Some may understand the post but much as I'd like to put you in the picture, if I did, however nicely, the post itself would doubtless disappear.

When I have a mo I will try to bring this bonkers state of affairs up with the powers that be.

all the best.

pjd57

Veteran
pjd, this is not something I know much about-(width V courseness of tread) as my main riding is on my road bikes. I note your preference for going wider than 35. What sort of riding area/surfaces are you riding? What are your thoughts on Width versus tread courseness?
I ride on a mixture of road and canal path.
Not in any great hurry so I want something robust.
Not one for great technical details.
Schwalbe marathons were recommended by my reliable mechanic so that's what I've got.

Yes no great shortage.

You might be pleasantly surprised by the ride after your adventures on 25 - I wouldn't go below 28, but then I don't race.

I'd check out PlanetX for good deals on tyres if you can justify the postage charges, maybe by buying other stuff.

(just put some 37s from PlanetX on a new build of mine - cost not a lot over a fiver each as I recall)
Totally agree with you BH. I have been using 25mm on my racing bikes but 28mm on my tourer and wondering for ages whether I could fit 28mm to my racing bikes to acquire more comfort. Contacted Dolan as I own one and they informed me that their bikes are only made to take 25mm tyres. so cannot fit them to that. But I also own a Bianchi ML3 so today I thought I would just try and fit the 28mm tyres to it. And I am glad I did because they fit with plenty of tolerance so I am an happy bunny now.

Lock me up now , guilty as charged
One of my bikes has non matching rims/wheels.
And will have until i rerim the old rear.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nothing wrong with mismatched tyres. I'm running a Raleigh Pioneer with a 38mm Marathon on the back and a 38mm nondescript Far East hybrid pattern job on the front. Reason being I've got some old tyres that need to be ridden to wear them out (I won't chuck away anything that has useful life left in it), but I want the extra puncture resistance of the Marathon, because in my experience rear wheel punctures occur 2-3 times more often than front ones.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with mismatched tyres. I'm running a Raleigh Pioneer with a 38mm Marathon on the back and a 38mm nondescript Far East hybrid pattern job on the front. Reason being I've got some old tyres that need to be ridden to wear them out (I won't chuck away anything that has useful life left in it), but I want the extra puncture resistance of the Marathon, because in my experience rear wheel punctures occur 2-3 times more often than front ones.
Good luck on trying to wear out that front tyre.

iandg

Legendary Member
I ride 35s on my LHT. Used Vittoria Voyager Hyper over the summer - a very fast rolling tyre that seem larger than 35. Have fitted Vittoria Randonneur Trekking for the winter - much slower but better puncture protection and only £8 at Planet X.

Sshhh but the rims on my bike don't match either. Non matching rims, non matching hubs, non matching tyres. The world is going to end ...

My next build will have non matching shifters.
Oh - and that bike with non matching wheels/rims - I forgot - one is black and the other is silver.
Aren't bikes wonderful? :smile:

Top Bottom