Is a bread free diet pointless if you keep at the spuds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My favourite ranty subject. I find myself agreeing with Yello here again :hello: Sorry Yello, death by association for you once more I'm afraid.

The human body is complex. I doubt anyone would dispute that. Not all foods, be they rich in carbs, protein or fat, are the same. Everyone is different, every food is different. You can be a high level ultra endurance athlete fueling yourself on animal fats over carbs with plenty of fresh veg (I know one who does this personally and he knows more who do), carbs or some other choice. Scott User10571 was a vegan and a winner of the Badwater ultra marathon. Not sure how he did that but I'm no expert.

What is clear is that just going low fat isn't working for a lot of people and is not the only way to lose weight. The devil is in the detail also. How do you go low fat? How do you go low carb? Government health advice does not move other than to further reduce "fat". What is fat? How is it made? How does your body process it? What is cholesterol? How does being physically active affect this?

Your friend here is knowledge. Read up on the endocrine system and get your information from multiple sources as not to get a one sided view of things. There is a lot of information freely available on how hormones rule the body, including fat storage. A little knowledge really can help you make a more informed food choice. All you have to do is experiment on yourself when you have knowledge.. I'm still lean after changing how I eat. I never measure food, calories etc. I eat a shed load of leafy greens as well as other fresh veggies and fruit. I don't worry about animal fats from fresh food and fish. Within limits of course. We've started buying outdoor reared grass fed meat locally. More expensive but we've cut back on other things. It's no effort to keep the weight off when you find something that works for you personally and it agrees with you. I have found something that works for me. What I do might not work for you but I have no reason to change and what I eat would seem to be healthy.

Reducing carbs does not mean Aktins in the same way reducing fat does not mean you are following weight watchers.

Cut out all fat in your diet and you will lose weight quicker than you think. Iv done this and lost two stone in three months without trying. Its the diet bodybuilders use to rip up for a competition. Ill pm you a list of foods if you want, eat as much as you like and lose. My best result was three quarters of a stone in 11 days.

I should first of all say well done ^_^. I had exactly the same result cutting processed carbs and increasing my natural (for want of a better word) fat and protein in my day. Hi GI/GL carbs from fruit after training or before if it's a biggy with energy drinks for the latter part of 3-4 hour training session on the rare occarsion I get to do one. My energy drink powder is much past it's sell by date. The weight has stayed off and my modest gradual sporting improvements don't seem to have been hindered by the change of diet.

I'd suggest the speed of my weight loss speaks volumes about how badly I was eating in terms of processed carbs before changing. If I'd have stopped fat but kept the carbs I wouldn't have had the same results. That would be true for me, but quite possible not true for anyone else on here. It depends on your current eating habits as well as a number of other factors.. I really should get some piccies up with my ugly mug blocked out. If my employer knew what I was up to in the daytime...

One of the books I read was the paleo diet for athletes. I'm not a paleo dieter but like many books on the subject it was a useful resource with ideas it may be worth considering. A three page summary in a free download can be found at http://www.trainingbible.com/resources.aspx second linked article down. Worth a look if nothing else.

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
2 weeks off bread tomorrow, I've found it tough going at the weekends - not so much during the week. I didn't weigh myself at the start of this experiment:whistle: so I've nothing concrete to report, but I do look at myself in the mirror and think I looka bit leaner. I would say I probably overcompensated in the first week, at the morning tea break in work I would have normally had 2 slices of bread(Nutty Krust) or 2 scones (soup & sambo most lunches), replaced that most mornings with beans and poached eggs - so i dont know if it was pointless giving up on the bread in a calorific context? I also had a steroid injection in the knee during the period so my exercise was substantially lower than normal. I hope to keep it going for another while, although I've a stag weekend next week end which could throw a spanner in the works.:cheers:

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
Can report now that I've lost about half a stone by avoiding the bread in a 5/6 week period. Happy enough with that as I haven't been knocking my pan in with the dieting or exercise.

Top Bottom