Is buying from Halford's a good idea?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SNOWYLAD

Regular
Started to commute to work in the Summer, still going through the Winter months so I guess I have the bug!

My commute is fairly small, 3 miles each way, but saves time on walking as car is not really an option. Also enjoy cycling at the weekends, but not doing any more than 10 to 15 miles currently.

My budget is £300 ish and the only cycle shop nearby is Halfords, they have couple of hybrids in store that look to do the job, The Carrera Crossfire 2 (£299) and Voodoo Marasa (£315). Currently using a 1990's Raleigh Massif, so anything will surely be better?!!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
They are decent bikes for the money - it's the Halfords service and bike building that can be hit and miss. But you can buy in the box and self assemble

Why do you need a bike with suspension? On the lower end, it is best avoided, especially if just riding on roads and paths

OP
OP
S

SNOWYLAD

Regular
The Carrera has suspension, but the Voodoo does not. I wont need suspension for the roads and paths that I use......which I guess pushes me towards the Voodoo, they did have a Boardman Hybrid was was nearer the £400 mark.

13 rider

Guru
I bought my 13 hybrid from halfords no problems .mate has just bought a carrea cirrus CX bike (basicly hybrid with drop bars) for about 280 excellent bike for the money .halfords are only as good as the staff who work in branch.I use Leicester branch and staff are great

sgl5gjr

I'd agree that Halfords are only as good as the staff in the local branch........ I've seen them PDI cycles in the local branch.... and service them... still I suppose I'm glad they are poor as it's more work for me...... :whistle::whistle:

I bought a Carrera mtb about 10 years ago and it was a fantastic bike for the money. The staff in Halfords however were abysmal.
I certainly wouldn't worry about purchasing a bike from there but never take it back for maintanance, go somewhere else!

13 rider

Guru
Like I mentioned early my mates carrea cirrus 11 (green one ) I think he paid 280 in a sale 50% off only three weeks ago .not sure sale is still on .For the money its an excellent bike .mate has already done 100 miles no problem

Last edited:

Oldbloke

Guru
The service i got at 2 branches that I bought from was awful...you may be luckier.

If you buy a bike there get it checked over by somebody competent.

Good luck!

shadow master

Ok thanks everyone. Any views on the bikes mentioned? Sounds like suspension is not needed.
The vodoo is a much better bike for only a few quid more,no forks not needed anyway,but the hydraulic disc,and particularly the 24 speed system is worth having,shame about the 7005 frame but these have been hanging around since 2013

Top Bottom