Is cycling the only regular exercise you get?

My exercise mostly consists of

• 99% cycling

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Cycling and walking

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • Cycling and the gym

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Cycling and running

• Cycling and strength exercises

• Getting off the sofa to get a beer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get breathless thinking about it.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other stuff

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Cycle be it mostly turbo at the moment ,the odd 5k on the tread mill , walking inc dog walk though it's down a bit since the new year the hound is getting on a bit and he's not so happy with early mornings these days. Gym 4/5 times a week may not be in the @Drago league re weights but can hold my own not many follow me on the leg press without reducing the kg. ;)

Sharky

Guru
Cycling throughout the year, but more prominent in the warmer months, riding the club's evening 10's.
From Sept to March, table tennis, competing in local leagues.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Walking the dog every day and cycling when the weather is good, which it is not at the moment. I have reset the turbo trainer with the intention of using it until the weather improves. A bit demovativated at the moment though.

screenman

Legendary Member
Swim 4 times a week minimum 2k a time, gym twice a week, yoga 4 times and cycling. Like the other person, no good at sitting still.

vickster

Legendary Member
Usually I primarily cycle at least in spring/summer/autumn, however, I'm rehabbing after knee surgery at the mo so off the bike and in the gym. I'm trying to do much more stretching and am slowly adding some upper body resistance stuff. I've also started going to Pilates at the suggestion of the rheumatologist (waiting for ok to restart post op)

I do need to get better at gradually increasing how much / what I'm doing without overdoing it and having an inflammatory response in numerous joints :rolleyes:

Walking to get around but I've not been able to go for 'long' walks (> a mile or two) for a while

lane

Veteran
Some walking year round and this time of year a bit of swimming. Cycling probably 75%. I voted cycling / walking seemed most appropriate.

Jimidh

Veteran
Cycling is my main stress-cardio exercise.

3 miles walking a day minimum just walking the dog.

Weights 5 times a week, arms, back, legs, chest, and compound split. I vary the split every few monnths for variety, or to account for any minor injuries etc. 200 weighted calf raises daily, as that's a nightmare muscle to pack any bulk on. Stops osteoporosis, slows the ageing process, stops age related loss of muscle mass. Sure, I have my aches and pains, but generally I feel as strong as 20 years ago, and 52" chest is proper man size. I usually do it early (well equipped home gym, massive array of free weights, leg bench, Smith machine) once the house is tidy and Mrs and Mini D have gone out - 35 or 40 minutes a day, quick shower, then its 0930hrs and I have the day to myself. I would hate to be a small person or a weakling.

Surprised by how few people say they dont do any strength exercise given the benefits you have already outlined.

Very important as you get older to maintain muscle mass and tone - you dont need to be a huge muscular hunk like yourself but it’s importamt to be lifting something other than a pint now and again.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am warming greatly to you Jimidh ;)

My hero is Dave Draper. He's in his mid 70s...

63-years-old-360.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Surprised by how few people say they dont do any strength exercise given the benefits you have already outlined.

Very important as you get older to maintain muscle mass and tone - you dont need to be a huge muscular hunk like yourself but it’s importamt to be lifting something other than a pint now and again.

Farming is good for that.

Regular weightlifting - but with a purpose.

And handstands, and other yoga poses are good for load bearing, bone density building - all that stuff :smile:

pawl

Legendary Member
Cycling is my main stress-cardio exercise.

3 miles walking a day minimum just walking the dog.

Weights 5 times a week, arms, back, legs, chest, and compound split. I vary the split every few monnths for variety, or to account for any minor injuries etc. 200 weighted calf raises daily, as that's a nightmare muscle to pack any bulk on. Stops osteoporosis, slows the ageing process, stops age related loss of muscle mass. Sure, I have my aches and pains, but generally I feel as strong as 20 years ago, and 52" chest is proper man size. I usually do it early (well equipped home gym, massive array of free weights, leg bench, Smith machine) once the house is tidy and Mrs and Mini D have gone out - 35 or 40 minutes a day, quick shower, then its 0930hrs and I have the day to myself. I would hate to be a small person or a weakling.

Did big blokes used to kick sand in your face.

Remember the Charles Atlas ad .Turn a seven stone weakling into a replica amazing hulk.

I can't jog regularly because my knee won't take it any more, but apart from cycling and walking I get the following exercise

At work:

1: Going up and down stairs between the office and theatre/equipment store
2: Going up and down stairs again to retrieve what I've forgotten.

Otherwise:

1: Running to avoid missing the tram/bus.
2: Walking to the next stop after missing the tram/bus.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Swim 4 times a week minimum 2k a time, gym twice a week, yoga 4 times and cycling. Like the other person, no good at sitting still.
I know a few people like that. 15 minutes - just about; 30 minutes - agitated; an hour - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I am happy to do 4 hour walks or 12 hour bike rides, but I have actually sat at a computer for 16 hours playing one game! :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't jog regularly because my knee won't take it any more, but apart from cycling and walking I get the following exercise

At work:

1: Going up and down stairs between the office and theatre/equipment store
2: Going up and down stairs again to retrieve what I've forgotten.

Otherwise:

1: Running to avoid missing the tram/bus.
2: Walking to the next stop after missing the tram/bus.

Years ago I read about some Office wallah who was a bit of a porker. He decided to get fit, and by doing nothing other than taking the stairs instead of the lift lost over a stone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom