Is cycling the only regular exercise you get?

My exercise mostly consists of

• 99% cycling

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Cycling and walking

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • Cycling and the gym

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Cycling and running

• Cycling and strength exercises

• Getting off the sofa to get a beer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get breathless thinking about it.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other stuff

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Usually I primarily cycle at least in spring/summer/autumn, however, I'm rehabbing after knee surgery at the mo so off the bike and in the gym. I'm trying to do much more stretching and am slowly adding some upper body resistance stuff. I've also started going to Pilates at the suggestion of the rheumatologist (waiting for ok to restart post op)

I do need to get better at gradually increasing how much / what I'm doing without overdoing it and having an inflammatory response in numerous joints :rolleyes:

Walking to get around but I've not been able to go for 'long' walks (> a mile or two) for a while

I am doing some home Pilates stuff. I am not great at organized classes but am disciplined about following stuff at home. I like exercises that involve your own body weight or objects round the house.

vickster

Legendary Member
I get classes as part of my gym membership. I do need to be more disciplined with exercises as I’m good for a bit when I have a specific issue to address but I’m a bit lazy between the ‘flare ups’. Hopefully the classes will at least mean I get a good stretch once or twice a week

tyred

Legendary Member
I've been walking more than cycling recently. I power walk the ~2 miles to work each morning and evening (and I was the only one of my team on time this morning due to the snow...at least one lives closer to work than me but spent 20 minutes clearing her windscreen and then got stuck in the snow in her estate and arrived two hours late. She could have walked it in 15 minutes....:wacko:) and tend to walk everywhere else I go in town or occasionally cycle in the evenings when there is no traffic. I usually get out on the bike at the weekends but not much this year so far due to a never-ending cold but I'm better at last so hope to get some decent miles in soon.:dance:

I also attend two dance classes a week and do a little bit of yoga.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've been walking more than cycling recently. I power walk the ~2 miles to work each morning and evening (and I was the only one of my team on time this morning due to the snow...at least one lives closer to work than me but spent 20 minutes clearing her windscreen and then got stuck in the snow in her estate and arrived two hours late. She could have walked it in 15 minutes....:wacko:) and tend to walk everywhere else I go in town or occasionally cycle in the evenings when there is no traffic. I usually get out on the bike at the weekends but not much this year so far due to a never-ending cold but I'm better at last so hope to get some decent miles in soon.:dance:

Frightening is it not that she considers walking less than 2 miles is too far. As you say she would have been most of the way there by the time she cleared her screen.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I cycle to most places. Also walk the dogs most days, and an annual 18 mile or so hike, usually hilly. And I do one sit up every morning:smile:

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Years ago I read about some Office wallah who was a bit of a porker. He decided to get fit, and by doing nothing other than taking the stairs instead of the lift lost over a stone.

In an office I was in there were only four floors. Some colleagues used to get the lift for such a short walk to get to a meeting etc. You do despair at times. It was meant to be a facilities lift for moving heavy furniture between floors.

Frightening is it not that she considers walking less than 2 miles is too far. As you say she would have been most of the way there by the time she cleared her screen.

What frightens me is that these people often think they are the normal ones...

johnblack

Über Member
I have recently been using a SkiErg in the gym when I want to do something a little different. It is up there with indoor rowing as possibly the hardest exercise I've done. I'd rather be out on the bike but at this time of year it's just not possible during the week.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Gym is not my thing but my wife does describe all these wonderful machines they now have. She uses this new stepping treadmill of some sort. So new the classes are not popular yet.

I am lucky that the exercises I enjoy can be done outdoors. I love getting some fresh air and exercise at the same time whilst doing something I enjoy. Good for mental as well as physical health.

Top Bottom