Is it an urban myth...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david w 1

have been clipless for about 3 months....touch wood haven't experienced that moment yet!!!?! But have come fairly near........in the words of corporal Jones "Don't panic!".........

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No, never in must be close to 9 months. Even though I am one of the worst co-ordinated people that I know. Maybe just lucky.

[QUOTE 1134079"]
...that everybody has a clipless moment when they first start?

I got my clipless stuff yesterday, have been out, but kept having images about forgetting to unclip and falling sideways, gently, into the path of a ten ton truck!
[/quote]

It'll happen :whistle: just when you think you've got the hang of it.

I wouldn't worry about the 10t truck all clipless moments I've had have come when I'm stationary. The last one I had was circa 3 years ago (I'm probably due for another :ohmy: ) I came up to quiet junction (a short dead end to the right), nothing will be coming :blush: they were, so I had to stop sharpish: I wasn't going fast but it upset my balance and over I went :blush:

longers

Legendary Member
Searching the local paper doesn't bring up the inquest report but I remember the coroner was pretty well convinced that the fall was the cause of it all.

I can see how one could follow on from the other. Very unlucky for it to do so though I think. Did you know him?

I had my first on Winnats Pass on the first day out in them, Look Keos and it's the first and last time I've fallen off going uphill. So far. Had to set off pointing down the hill to get going again.

Have you seen that challenge where the go Mont Ventoux by 3 different passes on the same day, by the time most riders get to the top the 3rd time they're knackered and the wind just blows them over.

longers

Legendary Member
Not seen it but have heard of it, not surprised they're a bit weary by the last time up.

I got distracted by a sheep and veered off the road while going very slowly. Nothing kinky though, I think it might have had hiccups or something.

PaulB

Legendary Member
What I did, which worked for me, was to put a clipless pedal on one side only. About three weeks later, I was ready to switch the other one and doing it this way got me used to it in a safe and 'logical' way. I never had a 'clipless' because of this strategy and I would honestly recommend it.

Coco

What I did, which worked for me, was to put a clipless pedal on one side only.  About three weeks later, I was ready to switch the other one and doing it this way got me used to it in a safe and 'logical' way.  I never had a 'clipless' because of this strategy and I would honestly recommend it.

I did that when I installed my pedals. Sadly I fell in the other direction  :rolleyes: Fortunately I was still between two walls so didn't go completely down.

I've had a few close shaves, but reckon 'moments' only happen when you have an audience.  :biggrin: 

Renard

To look at it another way. Most cycling shoes are designed to be used with clipless pedals. Yes I did have a clipless moment or two a few weeks into using them. Its all quite a long time ago now so can't really remember the details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've fallen off and remained clipped in on occasions, but I've never fallen off because I failed to unclip yet. Neither has Ms. P.

I've done it with toe clips though.

No, I'll modify that, two years back I was practicing my cyclocross dismount in the park and once I failed to unclip my left foot when about to hop off the pedal. I fell over, but I didn't fall off. Does that count?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[QUOTE 1134102"]
Cheers all.

MacB...

...had my haircut as I had to reapply for my job so decided I better get seriou.

Bought decent padded mtb style baggy shorts as I was almost done for indecent exposure.

And clipless because I kept wearing out the toe straps from leg brakingM

Got a yummy steel fixed still!
[/quote]

I was only joshing you mate, you haven't fallen from hero to zero, you're just down to demi-god status

I rode with clipless pedals on my 21 year old road bike for four months with no problems. Unfortunately it was on my second ride on my brand new road bike that I had a clipless moment, crawling towards a give waty line trying to go slow enough so that I didn't have to unclip before the passing traffic had gone. Got it wrong and fell over, scratching my forks on the raised curb at the same time.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I never feel one of these threads is complete without a link to Rivendell Bikes take on the clipless thing:-

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

I don't blame the cycling industry, a few quid for pedals or a couple of hundred quid for a pedal/cleat/shoe interface system, it's a no brainer. If you're riding fixed or racing I can see it but, beyond that, it remains a bit of a puzzle, as does the acceptance of falling off.

Just providing a bit of balance :biggrin:

Top Bottom