Is it time to change those chain rings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cassettes for me are usually good for 6k-10k miles with a chain change half way through
Never changed a chain ring. They're made of steel and seem to last forever. Unless you're doing ridiculous miles they last several years at least

rivers

How far can I go?
As above, cassette about 8000 miles. Chains, when my chain checker says it needs changing. Chainrings, hardly ever. I changed one

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My MTB wear's out expensive rings in 12 months. Very rare to wear out even alloy chain rings on road bikes.

I used to get about two years out of the chain rings on my fixed gear commuter.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
"we asked the manufacturers when you should buy more of their products..... "

pure comedy gold.😄

to be fair they both said change chain regularly and it prolongs life of rest of drive train.

Replace cassettes when your new chain skips (or the skipping cogs if you is smart and by miche cassettes).
Replace chain rings once in a blue moon.

Never changed a chain ring. They're made of steel and seem to last forever. Unless you're doing ridiculous miles they last several years at least
I thought most chainrings weren't steel at all.
Partly driven by the long-running obsession with weight saving.
Some are (small and middle on triples, or at least small) I think on Shimano's cheaper chainsets.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have certainly worn out chainrings regularly on the fixed. They last probably around 10,000 miles. On the geared bikes the smaller rings tend to wear quickest. I have on the odd occasion had a chain start jumping on a worn ring.

Sharky

Guru
When I was doing serious high mileage commutes, I used to change the chain and cassette annually around March. Mainly so I could enjoy a free flowing transmission during the spring and summer months. If I left it to the autumn, the onset of winter would just takes its toll too quickly.

I do have another reason for replacing chains etc in March. I have a February birthday and Wiggle & Amazon vouchers seem to be the fall back present from my daughters. I've got a few vouchers in my wallet now, so I'm going to start ordering now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I was doing serious high mileage commutes, I used to change the chain and cassette annually around March. Mainly so I could enjoy a free flowing transmission during the spring and summer months. If I left it to the autumn, the onset of winter would just takes its toll too quickly.

My 'change date' for my commute bike is beginning of February. New Chain, cassette and cables.

si_c

Guru
Lifespan really depends on the conditions you ride in. Now I'm not commuting everything is lasting much longer, however when I used to commute 30 miles every day in two years I wore through 2 chainrings and countless chains and cassettes. My record for wearing through a chain is three weeks - in a wet January riding in 0° weather with the roads perpetually salted. The bike was hosed off but not cleaned between rides.

I used to replace the chain roughly every 2k miles and the cassette every 4k. Currently my chain is at 3k miles and unworn on the Racelight and about 1k mile on the Trek. The latter will need changing sooner though as it is my all weather bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
How often have you changed worn out chain rings and cassettes?
I replaced the steel inner chain ring after about 30000km and the middle (Al) one after 40000. Large (Al) one is still going at 50000+. I have a replacement for the latter ready to go on - it's an 'upgrade' natch.
Cassette normally 4000km, or 6000km if I change chains at the 2000km point.
9 speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Lifespan really depends on the conditions you ride in. Now I'm not commuting everything is lasting much longer, however when I used to commute 30 miles every day in two years I wore through 2 chainrings and countless chains and cassettes. My record for wearing through a chain is three weeks - in a wet January riding in 0° weather with the roads perpetually salted. The bike was hosed off but not cleaned between rides.

I used to replace the chain roughly every 2k miles and the cassette every 4k. Currently my chain is at 3k miles and unworn on the Racelight and about 1k mile on the Trek. The latter will need changing sooner though as it is my all weather bike.
I can see that chain being stretched. Maybe try Smoove. It's supposed to be every 1000 miles. During the rainy season my chain got so dirty and upon changing it didn't get properly degreased. Nice thing about Smoove over your chain feels so smooth running through the gears when properly applied.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I just replaced my first ever chainring after 5 years' wet and winter commuting duties. I only do 3,500 miles in a normal year of which say 50% at least are on this bike, but it does get the worst of the weather.

Top Bottom