Is it time to change those chain rings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I just replaced my first ever chainring after 5 years' wet and winter commuting duties. I only do 3,500 miles in a normal year of which say 50% at least are on this bike, but it does get the worst of the weather.
Good for you. I had been trying to keep to more than 100 miles a week. Now I'm working on a 20 mile daily avg with some fasting rides (weather permitting). Did 169 miles last week.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cables you say that's interesting. I see adjusting them but replacing them?
Inner cables are cheap as chips, so why not? particularly if you've done loads of wet winter miles on them, have a look where they run - they aren't exactly protected from the elements

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Inner cables are cheap as chips, so why not? particularly if you've done loads of wet winter miles on them, have a look where they run - they aren't exactly protected from the elements
Sorry I wasn't thinking. My cables are inner not outer. But aren't there tubes that cover them? I mean the outer ones? But fresh cables are nice.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sorry I wasn't thinking. My cables are inner not outer. But aren't there tubes that cover them? I mean the outer ones? But fresh cables are nice.
cable consist of inner and outer cables. Sometime these same cables run inside the frame at various points, but they still emerge, generally near the road, to connect to a mech.

you can put new inner cables down the existing outers, the inner is more likely to fray or be damaged or dirty than the outer, which as long as it has a decent ferrule on the ends should be fine - until it isn't and then replace it.

I find re cabling quite therapeutic.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Change them before they look like this:
Worn Chainring.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Change them before they look like this:
View attachment 574505
We are talking about chainrings, not ninja throwing stars! :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Presumably your bike doesn't have internal routing.
In the main you presume right. I have done a couple of cables on the Bianchi, which has internal routes, but there are sufficient sized port holes and bungs to make it easy enough to do, which is increasingly rare on internal cabled bikes I gather. the rest of the fleet I maintain are external routed

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Key is keeping eye on chain. I don’t have set mileages I just check at least once a month. I always have a full set of spare chain rings ready to swap in when required.

I generally cover about 12-13,000 miles a year.

davidphilips

Veteran
I am with Ming on this, keeping check on the chain is the important bit, i wipe the chain clean after every cycle, clean and lube after any cycle that involves rain and lube the chain in any case every 200 miles.

Beat advice on lube for chains i can offer is little and often, but never lube a dirty chain

My cassettes i change after every 3rd chain, what i have started because i have many bikes is keep a record of how many chains i have replaced on each bike and cassette is then replaced with 3rd chain, i keep the chain checker along with my bike cleaning gear and check for wear before i clean/

Chain rings seem to last for years but i change them solely on looks when they start to look like saw blades or sharks teeth.

Often over looked by many are jockey wheels, these i just check for wear and replace when theres excessive movement in them. Along with replacing the cassette every 3rd chain jockey wheels are removed cleaned and greased (unless sealed bearings)

Top Bottom