Is lighter inner tube gives better performance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I read an article that said latex tube roll 10% faster than common butyl tubes cause its lighter. Its that true and is that really that significant? Does it easily punctured?

If its true, any good brand?

It is true, but for Johnny Normal it makes little difference (read 'no difference').

For pro racers, serious amateurs and equipment fetishists it offers an enhanced performance envelope and significant advantages over any cheap old crap the other chap is using....

In my experience they are fine as far as puncture resistance goes, as the issue is more what penetrates the outer than what penetrates the tube.

If you want to save weight, eat fewer pies.

If you want to minmise rotational mass, go and work for NASA or something.

It's just a bicycle.

I hope I have helped but I fear that perhaps I have not.

400bhp

Guru
Is that what you were on for Manc100?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362432188946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362432188946.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 58

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm having a love affair with latex tubes at the moment; I've been using them for a month and I LOVE the ride, the noise and the lighness. Now I'm using them with Michelin Pro3 light tyres and they're even better. Cat claws can puncture them though if kitty makes a grab for a dangling tube while you're changing them.

I believe this combo is faster but it would be impossible to prove.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just have a pee before you go out cycling - there will be a greater reduction in overall weight!

Does your urine reside in your wheels? It is not just about absolute weight, but also the distribution of weight.

That being said, I have little opinion on light inner tubes, I use Conti Supersonic tubes on my light wheels with GP4000s tyres. Not a clue whether they make a difference.

On another note, I find this thread hard to take serious because of the "Is lighter tubes better, innit?"-esque thread title!

Top Bottom