Is lighter inner tube gives better performance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Yep but I bust two latex tubes on one pothole with snake bites due to low tyre pressure - my fault I should have checked them more often. I did not think every day was necessary at the time.

Sorry, I don't understand your point?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Snakebites happen, full pressure or not - depends what you hit. It's just more expense when you pop a latex or ultralight tube.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Sorry, I don't understand your point?

I think you are right in that when something goes through the tube, a puncture is inevitable regardless of the tube type. But the latex tubes seem quite soft to me and nip easily with plastic leavers or the zip on a bag. So when the rims hit the outer casing the softer latex tubes might give up when a tougher butyl one might not.

Fossy is right in that you get snakebites on all tubes at times but with latex ones deflating constantly I got caught out. You can ride around on partialy inflated tubes and you'll get snakebites on most roads you don't need a big hole to do it. Try it !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Latex being so stretchy it will also herniate out and pop through a 2mm cut in the tyre that a butyl tube will bridge over. Ask me how I know this!

Top Bottom