Is riding fixed gear as hard as I imagine it to be? What about fast descents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
I've been on a few group rides where one or more people have turned up on a fixed-gear bike. I've admired the simplicity of the set-up and how they've just plugged along without a care, even up, over, and down hills, and I've always imagined that such a bike would be hard to control on a steep descent.

Do you have to fight the bike to control it going downhill and what happens if your feet slip off the pedals because it is too steep or you end up going too fast, don't you risk bashing your feet, legs or shins?

Stopping and starting must be something you have to get used to as well? I regularly wind my crank back to the top of the arc to reset it and get the pedal ready for pushing off. You can't do that with a fixed-gear bike can you?

Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just try it but I just imagine I'd fall off it a lot?

There's a reason why the freeweel was invented. People ride fixed wheel bikes for the same reason some buy mechanical watches.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been on a few group rides where one or more people have turned up on a fixed-gear bike. I've admired the simplicity of the set-up and how they've just plugged along without a care, even up, over, and down hills, and I've always imagined that such a bike would be hard to control on a steep descent.

Do you have to fight the bike to control it going downhill and what happens if your feet slip off the pedals because it is too steep or you end up going too fast, don't you risk bashing your feet, legs or shins?

Stopping and starting must be something you have to get used to as well? I regularly wind my crank back to the top of the arc to reset it and get the pedal ready for pushing off. You can't do that with a fixed-gear bike can you?

Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just try it but I just imagine I'd fall off it a lot?
It's very unnerving the first time you go downhill - it feels like the bike is in control, and you just have to go with the flow. But you get used to it very quickly. I have a front brake to help keep control going downhill. The front brake also helps when you're stopped at the lights - engage the brake and push forward slightly to raise the rear end off the ground, then reverse-pedal to get the pedal in the right position for starting. Stopping is easy, but beware clipless moments, especially at first. Pretty soon everything becomes extremely easy and intuitive, and you can enjoy the 'man & machine in perfect harmony' thing.

It's very unnerving the first time you go downhill - it feels like the bike is in control, and you just have to go with the flow. But you get used to it very quickly. I have a front brake to help keep control going downhill. The front brake also helps when you're stopped at the lights - engage the brake and push forward slightly to raise the rear end off the ground, then reverse-pedal to get the pedal in the right position for starting. Stopping is easy, but beware clipless moments, especially at first. Pretty soon everything becomes extremely easy and intuitive, and you can enjoy the 'man & machine in perfect harmony' thing.

I rest my case.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've always imagined that such a bike would be hard to control on a steep descent

No, you just use the brakes, like on any other bike.

The only real difference is that because you can't coast, your top speed is generally limited by how fast you can pedal. I find it starts to get interesting upwards of 150rpm.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A road-fixed should have at least a front brake. I use front and back.

OP
OP
Bimble

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
It's something I'd like to try. Maybe one day pick up a cheap one in the classifieds and give it a go. Slow and steady to start out with then?

Top Bottom