Is riding fixed gear as hard as I imagine it to be? What about fast descents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

They're just a little different to a bike with a freewheel. These days I use one as my winter bike, before I retired I commuted on a fixed for many years. On a fast descent I'm comfortable up to 30-35 mph, if you get out of your comfort zone just drag a brake. Once I've stopped I just grab the nose of the saddle lift the back slightly and rotate to where I want it for starting off. Personally I find them great fun.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Personally I find them great fun.

Same here. I got into riding fixed at a time when I'd lost my cycling mojo and just wanted to try something a bit different. It did the trick perfectly, helped me rediscover my love of riding a bike.

It may well be an anachronism but I really don't care. I also have a carbon bike with 22-speed Di2 and hydraulic disc brakes. I also have a unicycle. Variety is the spice of life.

S-Express

It's a matter of opinion. Those who ride fixed regularly will disagree. If you have never done so you won't know until you try.

Obviously I wouldn't expect 'fixed aficionados' to agree. It's still undeniably an anachronism though. Some people still love riding penny farthings as well...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Obviously I wouldn't expect 'fixed aficionados' to agree. It's still undeniably an anachronism though. Some people still love riding penny farthings as well...

For that matter, diamond-frame uprights are an anachronism. Imagine what bikes would look like nowadays if it weren't for the UCI...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's good training and ideal for commuting. Going downhill takes a bit of practice. Simplicity also cuts maintenance time.

Anyone want one. Mine is now surplus to requirements.
If you weren't such a short-arse I wouldn't mind borrowing it for a while to see what it is like (you know I would look after it like it was my own :whistle:). @potsy also has one that he isn't using anymore, why can't I have some mates that are a 'normal' height? :tongue:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Actually, they're not. Not until they are replaced with something demonstrably better.

Hmmm, let me see if I can rack my brain to come up with an example of something that is demonstrably better than a traditional diamond-frame upright, but I admit it'll probably take me hours and hours. In the meantime, here's a pic of a man in a pointy hat to keep you amused...

lotus.jpg

Top Bottom