Is riding fixed gear as hard as I imagine it to be? What about fast descents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

No one who actually knows what "anachronism" means will.

anachronism
əˈnakrəˌnɪz(ə)m/
noun
  1. a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned.

S-Express

Hmmm, let me see if I can rack my brain to come up with an example of something that is demonstrably better than a traditional diamond-frame upright, but I admit it'll probably take me hours and hours. In the meantime, here's a pic of a man in a pointy hat to keep you amused...

lotus-jpg.jpg

That is still a 'diamond' frame - it just doesn't have a hole in the middle. All the important bits are still connected in the same places. In any case, the Lotus 108 was not 'demonstrably better' than a conventional frame. Boardman was demonstrably a faster rider than Lehmann on the day, but any records set on the 108 have now been superceded by riders on 'conventional' frames anyway.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
anachronism
əˈnakrəˌnɪz(ə)m/
noun
  1. a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned.
So, in other words, a matter of opinion.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you weren't such a short-arse I wouldn't mind borrowing it for a while to see what it is like (you know I would look after it like it was my own :whistle:). @potsy also has one that he isn't using anymore, why can't I have some mates that are a 'normal' height? :tongue:

The seat post goes up quite a way. And it's fairly stretched out with a 12cm stem. Mr Lankey

S-Express

It isn't. HTH.

Like I said, the appearance may be unconventional - but conventionally-positioned attachment points for wheels, fork, cranks still means it follows a traditional diamond convention. A bit like this FES. Anyway, no more arguments about frame shape in a thread about fixed wheel....

e41bcf1b0fde0713b20d6330c636352d.jpg

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Like I said, the appearance may be unconventional - but conventionally-positioned attachment points for wheels, fork, cranks still means it follows a traditional diamond convention.

Convention schmonvention. It's not a diamond frame for the purposes of the point I was making, as well you know. I could have posted a pic of a recumbent instead but I thought the Lotus made the point more effectively.

If you want to use 'demonstrably better' as your criterion for defining what is and isn't anachronistic, you need to have a word with all those people who continue to use fixed gear for hill climb competitions.

S-Express

If you want to use 'demonstrably better' as your criterion for defining what is and isn't anachronistic, you need to have a word with all those people who continue to use fixed gear for hill climb competitions.

Moot point. Freewheel is not needed in a HC and are usually chosen as they are the lightest option.

Top Bottom