Is This Site Faking New Members And Their Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Modern life and nothing much to do with this place. On other forums people post near identical questions a week displaced by time or in several sections of the forum simultaneously creating a trail of destruction or waste. Sometimes people disappear. If they come back they then post a variant on the same theme later down the line that repeats the same ground and get angry with the second tranche of posters.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ah the incorrect assumption that a bot can only post stuff that adds up
Ahh Colin is a sneaky bot.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Modern life and nothing much to do with this place. On other forums people post near identical questions a week displaced by time or in several sections of the forum simultaneously creating a trail of destruction or waste. Sometimes people disappear. If they come back they then post a variant on the same theme later down the line that repeats the same ground and get angry with the second tranche of posters.

There is also of course those members who post the same question on what seems every cycling forum they can find. :wacko:

postman

Legendary Member
WHAT! There are other cycling forums?....... :eek:
1597135473776.png
It's not too late my son.Just tell us you cancelled your subscription to ACF before you joined CycleChat.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Unless I am missing something the OP didn't actually accuse anyone.
I didn't like the post as I am probably one of the top members when it comes to asking for help/advice.
From day one I have been grateful for help that has been kindly offered on a wide range of problems.
Long may that continue ^_^
Maybe I'm being oversensitive but that is how the thread title and this line from the original post came across to me:
There is nothing wrong with the site owners throwing out one liners that start a thread as long as they are clear who they are.
The implication is that we are looking to generate views at any cost which isn't Shaun's style at all - this would be a very different site if that's how he thought.

What I'd like everyone to bear in mind is that new members come in all varieties. If they are young or very new to cycling they may ask questions that seem stupidly obvious to a seasoned rider (and sometimes seasoned riders can ask daft questions too :whistle:) so please keep replies relevant and helpful.

Some may be on the autistic spectrum and ask questions that seem strange or that fixate on one particular aspect to the exclusion of all else. These can be frustrating but replies should still be helpful.

Yes, we may get members who are just attention seeking, the serial returnees, those who keep asking because the answers aren't what they wanted to hear or those who are purely here to troll us, but they can be dealt with without being rude or turning threads into slanging matches - let the mods know so we can keep an eye on them and don't feed the troll (there is an ignore button if you need it, accessed by clicking on the avatar of the member that irks you)

A bit of excellence towards your fellow members is always appreciated.:okay:

It's the Russian social media influencers and bots that concern me.

I have doubts about @ianrussr, @I like Baltika 3 and @Rickshaw Piotr .

^_^
they are indeed a real problem.
One of the reasons I prefer here - home-grown nutjobs I can deal with - even if some may have been influenced by Russian bots and stirrers.

francovendee

Über Member
I wasn't aware this happened.
On another site I'm a member of there were clearly people who posted just to stir things up.
Brexit was the worse. I'd never have believed it could have been mentioned in so many threads that were nothing to do with politics.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've been posting on forums with my various interests for over 20 years. The thing that always gets on my wick is those that ask questions but get frustrated with the answers because really they've already made their minds up as to what the answer really is. I dont mind engaging, helping and participating in discussions and clearly it's ok for people to not take in your advice but when people start getting annoyed at suggestions I immediately bugger off... :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This post proves you are not a computer - your numbers are wrong.
I was about to say that I used a calculator app on my phone to check the number, but have been posting since I did the calculation so any discrepancy was due to that. In fact, I just went to use the app again and the old calculation was still showing. My bad... £1,112.07 - ha ha! :okay:

Some may be on the autistic spectrum and ask questions that seem strange or that fixate on one particular aspect to the exclusion of all else. These can be frustrating but replies should still be helpful.
That's a good point - I hadn't considered that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom