Is this the Shimano short or medium cage derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
Thanks for all the input people. Food for thought for sure. I think, as Will Spin says, the best option is to just get a new bike with the 11-32 pre-installed. I can just keep the Defy on the turbo throughout the summer in case it's raining. :laugh:

I have no problem with spending the extra money on doing it properly to be honest. I'm an engineer, it's got to be right.

Tangoup51

I have no problem with spending the extra money on doing it properly to be honest. I'm an engineer, it's got to be right.

Resourcefulness is my secret to engineering. ^^

As an alternative you could try a 12-30 cassette, a 30 works for me with a short cage ultegra.
Therein lay my problem. finding an eleven speed 11-30 cassette without forking out £160. If that was the only change I was going to make I'd have considered a Dura Ace cassette, but I was always going to go compact anyway so wanted to keep the costs down beyond buying new chainrings. When I'm back from France I'll keep the 50-34 up front and switch back to an 11-28 cassette, although I do have a brand new 11-25 in the garage.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I could buy the tools to manufacture my own cassette and derailleur and do proper engineering, but then that's purchasing too. :laugh:

A real engineer would make their own tools.

Yikes.

Only two things matter; 'max sprocket size' (the derailleur's ability to reach down far enough to influence the chain onto the bottom of the big sprocket and which is dependent on the geometry of the parallelogram) and 'tooth difference' (subtract the number of teeth on the smallest chainring from the number of teeth on the biggest chainring - and subtract the number of teeth on the smallest sprocket from the number of teeth on the largest sprocket and add these two figures together to get your total 'tooth difference') which is the dependent on the ability of the spring loaded cage plate to take up all potential chain slack. Also relevent (depending on the mech) is 'smallest sprocket' and 'front difference'.

'Max sprocket size' and 'tooth capacity' are listed on the box and in the installation intructions that came with your mech/bike. Or on the manufacturer's website: http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/components11/road/ultegra1/rd-6800-gs.html

Top Bottom