Is this worth Buying??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not familiar with that model. You sure it’s not a Zing or Zone?

Chislenko

Veteran
With regard to sizing I too am 5'11" and have a 56, a 55 and a 54 all of which are different geometry but all fit me. I also had a massive 60 frame that had riser bars so also fitted.

This whole sizing issue is probably the reason why I personally would never buy a bike online but prefer to go to a shop, sit on, have a test ride.

I know many people do buy online with no issues and I know when a new bike is purchased this way you can then experiment with stem length etc but for me that rather defeats the object of buying a bike that should be right from day one.

vickster

Legendary Member
With regard to sizing I too am 5'11" and have a 56, a 55 and a 54 all of which are different geometry but all fit me. I also had a massive 60 frame that had riser bars so also fitted.

This whole sizing issue is probably the reason why I personally would never buy a bike online but prefer to go to a shop, sit on, have a test ride.

I know many people do buy online with no issues and I know when a new bike is purchased this way you can then experiment with stem length etc but for me that rather defeats the object of buying a bike that should be right from day one.
Agreed, but... The OP is however looking at fairly low value (so older) models not new and shiny and current from a shop (which may or may not have the same frame/geometry as their 10 year old forebear)

It seems the higher the price and more modern a bike the more critical a bike fit is. Many of the older bikes and cheap bikes have quill stems so offer a huge amount of adjustment. Often cheaper models are only available in two or even one size but rely on the quill stem to make adjustments. It's like folding bikes they can often fit anywhere from a 7 year old child to a 6'4" adult because they are designed to do so. High end models with threadless headsets, CF frames sometimes with integrated seat posts etc are much more critical for bike fit.

I've got an old Giant OCR with a threaded headset and quill stem, its a smallish frame but fits me fine. I probably couldn't ride the same bike with a threadless headset which I think was featured in the next year's model without buying stem height extenders etc adding a lot more weight and complexity. I think some OCR's before mine had a angle adjustable stem too although mine has a rigid quill stem.

I could be wrong but the OCR below preceded mine and it looks like it could be angle adjustable as well as height adjustable so you could quickly and easily adjust handlebar height and angle perhaps for different riders and different type of riding something that is lost with modern bikes.

Just making the point all bikes aren't equal when it comes to bike fit, some are fairly easy to get a good bike fit on and some are near enough impossible if you get the wrong size bike. Typically the lighter the bike more likely the more specific the rider's dimensions will be for that bike.

1644687459845.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
There are so many sellers that just don’t seem legit out there at the moment. I will meet you in the carpark or pressure to come and by.

Then some bikes are just a bit hammered.

I have seen a Felt F4 carbon Frame 2012 model. It’s on eBay so bidding still on.

Also a Specialized Secteur Comp looks like 2011. Also on eBay the guy said he thinks max it will go 250 but that’s well beyond his reserve.

Both bikes are owned from new by the sellers.

The other option I have considered is a new Boardman SLR 8.6.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Certainly patience is a must.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Photo of the bike

Attachments

• F5430D9D-DE5B-4A77-97F5-8900196287ED.jpeg
    F5430D9D-DE5B-4A77-97F5-8900196287ED.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 54F7DA0C-B6BD-4670-A967-E72EE7E2FB26.jpeg
    54F7DA0C-B6BD-4670-A967-E72EE7E2FB26.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 11

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s your budget? What size do you need?
Have you tried a wanted thread on the forum? Where’s your location?

How about a Vitus Razor as an alternative to the Boardman? Fatter tyres so should be more comfortable on poor surfaces
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-razor-road-bike-claris-2021/rp-prod195674

Last edited:
OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
What’s your budget? What size do you need?
Have you tried a wanted thread on the forum? Where’s your location?
Budget is £500
Size L / 56 in am 5’11
Not put anything on the wanted thread I will do that.
I am in Surrey.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
What are your thoughts Focus Cayo Evo road bike - Full carbon, 105 groupset, upgrades.

£450. Is a 2018 model.

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems quite cheap. It’s quite new, does the seller have the receipt?
I’m quite wary of second hand carbon but others are happy to buy (I’d not be confident is checking thoroughly for crash damage).
If I had a £500 budget, I’d be looking at alu or steel (eg a Genesis equilibrium :becool:)
eg in Staines, I’ve an older one, super bike (says it’s a medium which might be a little smaller than a 56, I have one and it’s more a 54)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115226562019?hash=item1ad409cde3:g:D6wAAOSwcmRh8Wh8

Chislenko

Veteran
Depends how soon you need a bike but I will be bringing my Spesh Allez Sport back from Portugal mid May.

Yes it is a 2013 model but has been well maintained and has not seen rain. It is very low mileage as only used when on holiday there and due to reasons of covid has not been used at all the last two years.

Last time I saw it, 2020, I fitted new BB, chain and cassette. I also have sitting in my garage here in UK new front chain rings for it purchased from a chap on this forum. Sizewise it is labelled as 56.5 from memory.

If you are still looking then it may be of interest although geographically we are quite far apart.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Seems quite cheap. It’s quite new, does the seller have the receipt?
I’m quite wary of second hand carbon but others are happy to buy (I’d not be confident is checking thoroughly for crash damage).
If I had a £500 budget, I’d be looking at alu or steel (eg a Genesis equilibrium :becool:)
eg in Staines, I’ve an older one, super bike (says it’s a medium which might be a little smaller than a 56, I have one and it’s more a 54)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115226562019?hash=item1ad409cde3:g:D6wAAOSwcmRh8Wh8
Depends how soon you need a bike but I will be bringing my Spesh Allez Sport back from Portugal mid May.

Yes it is a 2013 model but has been well maintained and has not seen rain. It is very low mileage as only used when on holiday there and due to reasons of covid has not been used at all the last two years.

Last time I saw it, 2020, I fitted new BB, chain and cassette. I also have sitting in my garage here in UK new front chain rings for it purchased from a chap on this forum. Sizewise it is labelled as 56.5 from memory.

If you are still looking then it may be of interest although geographically we are quite far apart.
Thanks. Where are you based.

Top Bottom