It’s a different world now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
If anyone ever complains to me about having to go through "All that safe-guarding nonsense" for activities involving children, or vulnerable adults I'll show them this thread.

:sad:
Didn't do us no harm missus.

:whistle:

DRM

Guru
We had a Glaswegian teacher that no body messed about, I recall him telling one lad off who said he was off to get his dad, only to be told go fetch him, I’ll throw him down these steps head first and you’ll follow him, the thing was he genuinely meant it and was quite capable of fulfilling this promise

Drago

Legendary Member
Although, to be fair, we could be little sheets.

One nasty, old school teacher was Mr Windhaber, the maths master. Without looking he could back hand throw a board rubber and land it end-on every time between the eyes of his chosen victim. They called him The Sniper. My how we laughed when we leared he'd fallen off a ladder and broken his back and wouldn't be returning.

And then there was Rigsby. During one lesson he collapsed at his desk, some kind of diabetic episode. We knew we ought to tell someone, but he was a nasty f****r so these 14 year olds decided that he could reap that which he had sown. Sadly, another teacher came in about 20 minutes later to investigate the noise, saw what had happened, and there was then a major panic. Of course, we told Miss Hutchinson that Rigsby had collapsed only seconds before she had entered... :laugh:

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think a lot of people who turn round and say, "didn't do us no harm", were actually harmed by the experiences but haven't realized it.

Exactly.

If only by being lead into believing that hitting (or worse) kids might in some way be acceptable.

The transgressions here, are mainly along the lines of out of order PE teachers.
Grim , but only the tip of the iceberg.

The really awful, damaging stuff won't get detailed here - nor should it - but it happened.

We've had plenty of threads, where people are clearly still suffering from childhood experiences.

And of course there's still plenty of 'messed up' stuff that goes on now.

At least there's a bit more awareness now, and some action gets taken .

Anyhow, off out for a run >>>>

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I don’t come in here much any more; certainly try to refrain from commentary.

But this thread reminds me yet again why I steer clear.

Violence towards and abuse of children is not character-building. It is violence and abuse.

My whole childhood was a cocktail of violence, abandonment, fear, harm, abuse, shame, ridicule and punishment - both at home and at school.

All that limited my outcomes, made me a violent and abusive person early in adulthood, and pretty much destroyed my self-confidence for many years.

Those here that celebrate the harms wrought on themselves and others as somehow building moral fibre really need to go sit quietly somewhere and reflect.

Awful, poisonous rubbish.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We had a Glaswegian teacher that no body messed about, I recall him telling one lad off who said he was off to get his dad, only to be told go fetch him, I’ll throw him down these steps head first and you’ll follow him, the thing was he genuinely meant it and was quite capable of fulfilling this promise

My dad was a teacher in a moderately rough secondary modern in the 60s and even back then parents would come to school playing up about this or that. Anyhow an angry father was haranguing one of my dad's colleagues, a small rather bookish seeming chap, who quite slowly took off his glasses then punched the parent, knocking him out cold. Apparently he'd been regimental boxing champion or whatever it was. Nothing was ever said of it afterwards.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Nobody is seriously saying it is/was acceptable. People are recounting experiences because the thread title is "It's a different world now". We went through all that and as a result, I believe things are better now because of it. It was already changing in the early 80s - note my recollection of a teacher crying after administering corporal punishment. Corporal punishment was banned shortly afterwards and schools have progressively developed anti-violence policies ever since. I am pleased that my grandchildren are far less likely to be beaten and abused at school than I was.

Threads like these highlight progress, they're not about celebrating backwardness.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Nobody is seriously saying it is/was acceptable. People are recounting experiences because the thread title is "It's a different world now". We went through all that and as a result, I believe things are better now because of it. It was already changing in the early 80s - note my recollection of a teacher crying after administering corporal punishment. Corporal punishment was banned shortly afterwards and schools have progressively developed anti-violence policies ever since. I am pleased that my grandchildren are far less likely to be beaten and abused at school than I was.

Threads like these highlight progress, they're not about celebrating backwardness.

Yes I'm pleased about, and celebrate progress, as well, lets keep it up,right.

But you still hear people complaining about having to have safeguarding checks, for example.

And making out that this stuff that happened on the past was all just 'character building'

'fun and games' really.

You can't pretend there's not a whiff of that on this thread.

But yeah - 'saving face' is very important too right :okay:

I remember a cane being kept over the classroom door, as an implied threat and plenty of sadistic and or creepy teachers from the seventies and eighties, as well.

My kids still have a tale or two from their schooldays , so it's not all 'fixed' yet by any means.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This happened in the girls at our school (by the female PE teacher) - she was later found out - just got brushed under the shower tiles at the time... I've got a shool re-union at the weekend with about 20-30 of us..and the ladies all remember this.
We had Miss Dell, the PE teacher. Most were convinced that she was not born female. Trans rights not being a thing in the 70s. She was flat chested and had an Adams Apple, not that well covered by a neckerchief. Possibly some sort of goitre, looking back and trying to be vaguely generous. Scary, scary woman. I used to dash through those showers faster than I ever ran on the track. Fear mostly. She would stare at the bigger breasted girls and do ‘bra checks’ randomly, to ensure proper coverage.
Nobody dared say a word, we wouldn’t have been believed anyway and put on detention for telling lies. I went to a reunion, years later and she was talked about a lot and how she carried on.

Top Bottom