It’s a different world now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Racial abuse was terrible.
At my school there was a black kid known as 'Nigs'. Even some of the teachers used to call him it.

There was also a really tall German with blonde hair and blue eyes. He wasn't Jewish but somebody thought it would be funny to dub him 'Mike the Yid'. This was only about 30 years after the Holocaust.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
We used to have chemistry prat-ticals. They stopped when somebody 'accidentally' knocked over a bottle of bromide and choked half the glass.

I managed to cause a panic during and A level chemistry practical . While attempting to produce chlorine gas I had a minor (read major) leak along the glassware and was pumping chlorine into the room , cue panic stations and everyone climbing out of the windows .

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Found the tawse. Problem with light taking a picture but will get better in daylight and the thing in all its glory.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As a counterbalance to the history teacher above, on another occasion a lad took a rusty cylinder he had found in and asked our form teacher if he knew what it was. Cue teacher ushering us all out of the room, then going back, putting the WW2 3” mortar bomb into a sand bucket and carrying it to a safe place well away from the rest of the school.
Aha...

I've just had a flashback to taking the incendiary bomb in to school as part of my contribution to "What our parents did during the war". The teacher freaked out! :laugh:

I was just searching for a hammer in my sister's garage and I found the bomb! It is looking a bit the worse for wear, but it is nearly 80 years old now so that is not surprising!

incendiary-bomb-jpeg.jpg
:smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Being caned on the stage in front on the whole school to have an example made of you.
Lifted by the PE teacher by the earlobes until you had to stand on your toes.
PE teacher watching you shower.
Rugby on ground hardened by frost; big lads against the skinny ones like me.
Lifted on to your toes by your hair if it was too long.
And at primary school, punished for being left handed because some spinster Catholics thought it was a sign.
Etc
With a handful of exceptions; Miss Green who taught me the alphabet, the spinster of the next class whose name escapes me and Miss Eckerseley who both fed my appetite for reading and at secondary school, Brian Deveroux and my biology teacher, if there is a hell, I hope the rest are in there.

DRM

Guru
I recall one lad bringing a rabbits head into school in a plastic bag, the rest of the rabbit had been eaten by his ferrets, the (female) teacher noticed some sniggering and demanded to see what he had, despite several it’s put away, and you really don’t want it, she marched over snatched it from under his bag, screamed and ran back to the front looking green around the gills, for some reason she let that one drop, and never demanded things off kids again for some reason.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Perhaps I should stick my wife's old one on fleabay. It is only a 2 tongue one I think so mebbe worth less. :wacko:

I met a lady on a diving holiday whose trade
was making bespoke saddles for horses (and riders) with back problems. One day she got an order for a special bridle, with very specific dimensions. She studied the drawings for a while then thought, "hang on, this is for a woman!". Asking her boss's advice, he said "quote them a grand and they'll piss off". Trouble is, the prospective customer replied "that's fine, I'll have two". The boss's view was "we're in the wrong business! ". I guess as a fairly straight laced guy I find this kind of thing a bit creepy, but hey ho, providing it's (genuinely) consensual, and it may not always be, I guess it's up to whoever's involved

Drago

Legendary Member
I fondly recall a lad falling badly during cricket at school, and messily breaking his leg. Bone sticking out, blood, screaming, the works.

The PE teacher, a hulking great rugbyist by the name of Wilkes, sent a lad to run to reception to call for an ambo. He then beckoned me forward to help him.

Nowm this was about the time AIDS was invented, and with all that claret Inwas naturally concerned so I said, "but Sir, I don't want to catch AIDS." He stood up, grabbed my ear,twisted very painfully and dragged me forward and whispered in my ear, "youll f*****g well need first aid if you don't help me." Well, seeing as he put it like that...

Top Bottom